Skip to main content
Solved

Resize a Lucidchart shape without shifting existing lines

• 8 September 2020
  • 6 replies

Hello. I have a PROCESS shape extended to a long rectangle. I have a bunch of other shapes connected to it. I would like to extend the rectangle to the right without all of the existing connections shifting.

Is there a way that I can drag the right border without dragging the arrows with it?

Thank you

Comments

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi Jay

Thanks for posting on the community! It is intended functionality for the lines to adjust when shapes are resized. Unfortunately that means that there is not a way to widen your rectangle without affecting the existing lines. However after you have adjusted the shape as desired you can click on each line and move them to the location of your choice. If static lines are a feature you would be interested in seeing, we’d love to hear more details about your use case or what you’d like to see in this experience posted in the Product Feedback section of the community - from here, other users can upvote it and add details of their own.

For more information on how Lucid manages feedback via this community, take a look at this post.

If anyone else is looking for information on creating and formatting lines please check out our Work with Lines article! 

Thank you for the info.

This one is extreme productivity killer. I'm doing sequence diagrams and I have to adjust every single line manually every time one of the bars have to be resized.
Basically if you misjudge how tall the bar has to be in the beginning you will have to readjust all lines several times.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

@jay a101 @piotr k I wanted to update this post with Lucidchart's current functionality - this is possible! Simply disable line connections (View > Enable Line Connections) as shown in this GIF. 

I hope this helps!

Badge

@jay a101 @piotr k I wanted to update this post with Lucidchart's current functionality - this is possible! Simply disable line connections (View > Enable Line Connections) as shown in this GIF. 

eF0IW_z5qRiXyjBqk_mciQ.gif

I hope this helps!

Unfortunately, it doesn’t help if the lines were already drawn with “Line Connections” enabled.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi @kenk, thanks for continuing this thread. You’re correct - unfortunately, disabling line connections only affects new lines which are created after that setting has been disabled. In that case, the most efficient way forward will likely be to either re-create those specific components of your diagram after disabling line connections so that they behave how you’d like, or to continue manually adjusting the lines after resizing your shapes. I’m sorry for any inconvenience this causes! Please let me know if you have any additional questions.