Skip to main content
Lucid advice

Manage your project using a Gantt Chart in Lucidspark

Gantt charts allow you to visualize all tasks for an upcoming project in one location even when the project spans across multiple teams. Gantt charts work similarly to our timeline functionality - namely it lays out individual tasks and their dependencies task ownership task duration and the expected duration of the project as a whole. With each task clearly mapped out and assigned the project manager and their entire team can easily stay on top of deadlines and make sure everyone is accountable for their work.

For this example I will be using the Lucidspark Gantt chart template. Click to access the Gantt Chart template. From this template I am beginning with a project that includes three teams. Each team is currently assigned four tasks that will be completed over the course of a year.

l7CWR9LI5LrzQleSA2el-Q.png

If I want to reassign a task from Team 2 to Team 1 I click on the task and select the pencil icon to edit details. From here I can change the assignee to Team 1. 

MKqQxaRfU5m51uMjrH7cCA.gif

Instead of reassigning to an existing team I can also add a new team to the Gantt chart by assigning a task to them. To do so I click on the task and select the pencil icon to edit details. In this example I will assign it to a Team 4 which will then be added to my Gantt chart.

ECr17i0MILsCkXBxyEfCEQ.gif

The new row for the added team will need to be styled to match the color style of my existing Gantt chart. If I want to make my new row for Team 4 purple I will double click on the Team 4 column. From there I will select the round color icon. I will check the box next to “Fill color” at the top so that the entire row will be filled with purple (lighter purple in the columns following the Team name). Then I will click on the purple icon and my entire row will be filled with the color I selected.

PlpkHji2duF0NFuhOud7Fg.gif

To remove an assignee you can delete the name of the assignee within the edit detail tab. This will move the task to an "unassigned" box. You can also move tasks around the graph to switch assignees. To learn more about creating and editing tasks refer to our Lucidspark Cards article.

To remove a row double click the title row and click “Delete” or “Backspace” on the keyboard. 

Follow up in the comments section below with any questions or to show an example of how you use Gantt charts to manage your project timelines!

Comments

How do I customize the Team names?  I don't want to use Team 1 Team 2 etc.  Thanks. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Marianne

Thank you for posting in the Lucid Community! If you take a look at the second and third videos in the post when the user is changing the Assignee from Team 2 to 1 or 4 you can change the Assignee to whatever you would like from this tab. It will create a new row (as seen above when changing to Team 4) on the chart that can then be filled in with new cards. 

Hope this helps clarify--let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks but all I want to do is rename Team 1 Team 2 etc.  How do I do that? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi Marianne

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the confusion. You will first click a card and then select the edit details pencil icon. From there you will see "Assignee." This is where you will rename from Team 1 Team 2 etc. 

Hope this helps--feel free to reach back out with more questions!

For some reason I am unable to delete existing teams from the template. When I double click on the team I see the color and font buttons but not the delete button. So when renaming teams as Phillip described above it just adds another group and leaves the old one there. I can keep adding groups but not delete any. Even selecting the group and pushing the delete button on the keyboard or right click and selecting delete doesn't work either. Please help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

@jon Thanks for continuing this thread! Right-clicking and choosing "Delete" from the menu should allow you to remove an entire row as shown in this GIF:

Are you able to delete a row this way? I see you mentioned this not functioning for you - what do you experience instead?

Ok that works except for the section that was generated called "Unassigned". That won't delete even when empty

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi Jon thanks for getting back to me. I'm glad you were able to delete your other team sections! I'm not able to reproduce this behavior with the "Unassigned" row for tasks that don't have a populated Assignee field; I was able to right-click and delete as with the others. 

What are you experiencing when it won't delete? Do you seem to not be able to select the row or is the "Delete" option in the menu unavailable? Any screenshot or screen recording you can provide would be helpful. Thanks for your help and patience!

The delete option shows as normal but just doesn't do anything

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi Jon thanks for the response. A few troubleshooting questions:

• If you create a new timeline with an unassigned row are you able to delete it?
  • If you create a duplicate of the page which contains your timeline then try to delete the unassigned row from the copy are you able to?

I'm hoping to understand if this behavior is isolated to your specific timeline or if you experience this in any timeline object. If the issue persists would you please submit a ticket to our support team here and include the URL to your document? We'd love to take a closer look - thanks!

I have milestones for different teams that occur on the same or close to the same day.  How do I increase the height of the Milestone row to make both visible?  (Ideally with a team tag / column to keep things simple)

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hey Ryan

Thanks for keeping this thread going! Unfortunately placing a Milestone above another one is not possible. The best course of action here would be to name the Milestone something that signifies it for both Teams.

Sorry for any inconvenience this causes--please let me know if you have any other questions! 

I set the "Today Marker" to transparent (no color).  Is there a way to get it back?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @boe q thanks for continuing this thread - that's a great question and I'm happy to help!

Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to bring the Today Marker back however the location of the marker will remain in the same place in the middle of a date - meaning you can click that area and it should allow you to highlight the marker again and select a different colour for it. I've also attached a GIF demonstrating this: 

I hope this helps! Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.  

@leianne c that worked! I had to be persistent but after about 10 attempts I got it.  Thank you!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hey Boe

Glad to hear that worked 🎉 Please reach back out with any other questions! 

Is there any way to link these tasks to jira tickets? I can import a Jira issue as a card but it does not properly associated with the template. I cannot change the imported card's assignee to the team name or to team 1 for example. I want to be able to build a roadmap with items that link directly to Jira and pull in their statuses automatically. From what I have seen it is either a jira card or a task card and there is no way to associate it properly.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi Hoi thank you for continuing this thread. Currently use of Jira cards within Lucidspark's timeline or Gantt chart tools is currently unsupported. However I certainly understand the usefulness of this - if you're willing to share our development team would love to hear more about your use case via this feature request form. Ideas submitted here are considered when prioritizing improvements to Lucidspark. Thanks for your request and apologies for any inconvenience!

For additional visualization abilities for your Jira issues however you may find the Dynamic Matrix tool useful. It allows you to plot your Jira cards by several attributes including Issue Type Priority Project and Status. I've linked the complete documentation for the Dynamic Matrix tool above but for information relating specifically to Jira I recommend this section of our Integrate Lucidspark with Jira article from the Lucidspark Help Center. 

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have additional questions. 

H there

I was able to update the team names however I have a default swimlane called"unassigned" and I am unable to remove it for some reasons. Although it doesnt have any card in the swimlane.

I tried duplicating to a new board and deleting but it doesnt work either.

Thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi Marine

Thanks for contributing to this thread! I'm sorry to read about the issue you are encountering.

Instead of duplicating your board could you try selecting the rows of your Gantt chart you want to keep and copy and paste them onto a separate part of your board? It is possible that the "Unassigned" row will come with it but I believe you will be able to delete it on the new chart.

If this does not resolve the issue I would recommend filing a support ticket making sure that you include the URL to your document so we can take a closer look into the matter!

Thanks for your response Coumba.

I tried following your recommendation but it didn't work so I will contact support.

Thanks

Hi Everyone 

I have been trying to edit statuses (stata?) to add/delete/change and display swimlanes in different larger fonts

I have noted the above comments and solutions but in general there needs to be a metadata component to the board where you can edit

• List of statuses (Done In Progress Future) to add (Pending)
  • List of teams - Are assignees even part of one or more teams?
  • List of Estimates - not so important

I would like to hide thing on boards like certain statuses (don't show future status)
I would like to see a way of making overlapping event descriptions readable

By doing this boards can be presented in different ways.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi Ashley

Thanks for adding to this thread. 

It seems that you mention swimlanes which is a Lucidchart feature while this thread is about timelines and specifically Gantt charts in Lucidspark.

However the rest of your post sounds like it's indeed about Timelines. Everything that is possible to do with timelines is outlined in our Timelines Help article and more specifically in the section Adjust a timeline.

If you would like to pass on feedback to our Product Development Team about the current functionalities and what you would like to see implemented I would recommend filling in our feature request form. Ideas and feedback submitted to this form are passed on to them directly for their consideration.

Is there a way to change my time intervals to 2 weeks at a time? I want it to reflect my team's sprint cadence. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi Daniela thanks for this question! Unfortunately timeline intervals are limited to days weeks and months. For your sprints I'd recommend using the weeks option and configuring your sprints to span two week intervals. 

However I understand that a two-week interval would be perfect for representing sprints and we appreciate that feedback. If there's anything you'd like to share about what you'd like to see in this experience or your use case we'd love to hear more in this thread!