Skip to main content

We have a Teams account with folders for various clients. For one of our clients we have invited them as a collaborator with their paid account. We have just completed a very large project for them and now want to transfer ownership of their entire folder to them. I can’t see how to do this - is there a way to transfer a Team folder to another account?

P.S. I am the account owner and it won’t even let me move the Team folder back to my private documents, even though I found documentation that said I should be able to do this. I

Hi @Phil Hope you're doing well

Take a look at his topic and see if it helps:

Cheers

Hi @Phil Hope you're doing well

Take a look at his topic and see if it helps:

Cheers

Raf, thanks for the link but this approach won’t work for us; from what I can see this only lets you transfer individual documents. For this client we have almost a hundred documents across probably 20 folders & subfolders that we need to transfer and we don’t want to just “dump” them on them without any structure (i.e. not in their folders). It also looks like it only lets you transfer ownership within your account, not to an external collaborator.

Hi @Phil

Thanks for your post! And thanks @rafaalb07 for sharing this tip! 

@Phil, you’re correct– the Document Discovery tool only allows tranferring documents within the account. In your case, since you would like to transfer ownership to external collaborators, the best alternative would be the following: 

1. Share the folder in question with the user that you wish to be the owner.
  2. Have that user make a copy of the folder. This will also create a copy of all subfolders and documents in that folder while keeping the folder structure intact.

The user will then be the owner of the newly copied folder as well as all the subfolders and documents on it. The folder will show up under the user’s My Documents section and they will be able to manage/move documents on it as they want. 

I hope this helps! 

Hi @Phil

Thanks for your post! And thanks @rafaalb07 for sharing this tip! 

@Phil, you’re correct– the Document Discovery tool only allows tranferring documents within the account. In your case, since you would like to transfer ownership to external collaborators, the best alternative would be the following: 

1. Share the folder in question with the user that you wish to be the owner.
  2. Have that user make a copy of the folder. This will also create a copy of all subfolders and documents in that folder while keeping the folder structure intact.

The user will then be the owner of the newly copied folder as well as all the subfolders and documents on it. The folder will show up under the user’s My Documents section and they will be able to manage/move documents on it as they want. 

I hope this helps! 

Flavia,

That worked. You can’t copy & paste the top level Teams folder, so I had to create a “dummy” top level folder below that and move all the sub-folders under that, and then they were able to copy & paste that which included all the sub-folders, so we got their content transferred.

Thanks

Phil.

Hi @Phil

That’s a great tip! I forgot to account for the fact you were referring to a Team Folder in my response. Thanks for sharing this workaround! 💡