Skip to main content
Solved

Does Lucidchart support SVG files?

Does Lucidchart support SVG files?

Comments

Hi Pam! Great question. Lucidchart does support import of SVG files.Our SVG file import feature allows users to easily create custom shape libraries inside Lucidchart.Here is an article on using SVG files within Lucidchart:

I can import shapes but can't add/edit text on them. A guide would be helpful.

Hi Piotr - Thanks for reaching out and apologies on the delayed response. Unfortunately you can't edit the image itself beyond resizing once it has been imported into Lucidchart. You can add any text box shape object that is already in Lucidchart on top of images and then group the overall image together to be one shape. 

Here's an article that may help.

I am carrying out a trial of both Visio and LucidChart. Microsoft has given me a month to evaluate Visio but I only get 7 days to check out LucidChart which is not a good start...

I have several complex diagrams of the back panels of various items of AV equipment. These were all created in Adobe Illustrator CS6. As you would expect some of these diagrams contain loads of connections and each connection has a text label. They have all been exported from Illustrator as SVG files. Visio will import such files without any problems but LucidChart makes a real mess of all the text. Is there a viable solution or do I give up on LucidChart?

BTW importing an SVG into Visio and then importing the Visio file into LucidChart screws up the shapes. However this is just an academic point as I don't plan to buy both products.

Hi David thanks for reaching out! Would you mind sending the SVG file to support@lucidchart.com so we can take a closer look at the issue? Thanks!

Hi Sara
My primary test SVG file has been sent to you via email.

After rechecking the result of uploading this file into LucidChart I have reminded myself that everything in the diagram was rather blurry. Shapes are also distorted e.g. all the circles are now misshapen ovals.

Hi David thanks for the information. I haven't seen any emails from you yet but I will continue looking out!

My mistake. Your first post above also arrived in my email inbox and I simply replied to that without noticing it had come from a 'no reply' address. It has now been re-sent to support@lucidchart.com.

I had more success exporting my Illustrator diagram as a PNG file and importing that to LucidChart. However I have not yet found a way to add connection points to this imported PNG for LucidChart's line drawing tools (Visio has such a tool).

Hi

I'm trying to import some svg made with inkscape. Importing works but when I try to use the new shapes nothing appears to happen on the canvas. When I close the document I can see de shapes on the document example in "Documents". What's is wrong / what am I doing wrong?

Hi there

Thanks for posting! Could you please provide screenshots of the issue so that I can try to replicate the issue? Since this seems to be document specific it may be better for you to submit these screenshots in a ticket here along with the URL to your Lucidchart document and the svg file. 

Hi all

import + group with text works like a charm but linking that to a google spreadsheet less so. I can't define data link with a whole group. So if I want to see what custom shapes have linked text I have to ungroup all the shapes and hover above the now nonexistent group.

On top of that hypelink data-linking doesn't work which is a shame. Linking data to a shape is already a workaround for the lack of the metamodell where I can reuse the same shapes with the same content. This makes things even more uncool.

Thanks.

Thanks for reaching out in the community. You should be able to assign shape data to individual objects within a group. Furthermore by clicking into the text label associated with the shape data. You will be able to see the data appear in the data panel on the right hand side of the editor. Please let us know if we are misunderstanding the issue. 

Hi Andrew

I think you understood it well and I already tried your solution but it doesn't solve the problem I'm trying to solve here. That what you wrote would work but is very inconvenient. If I link data to a simple shape I'd be able to see if the shape has linked data just by hovering mouse above it and all linked values would get the parenthesis []. If that is in a group the parenthesis never show up and I have to doubleclick on the group in order to reach individual simple shapes within a group. Furthermore I can't assign the linked data to all shapes in the group at once which makes the group useless as a saved custom shape because I have to do all the work manually for each simple shape in the group anyway.

Is there any improvements in this regard on the roadmap? I'm asking because this might be a deciding point on what modelling tool we will be using in the future. This exact feature is something in what modelling tools like EnterpriseArchitect VisualParadigm or PowerDesigner excel at although they suck at integration capabilities and web-friendliness. This feature would be greatly appreciated by software engineers because this would allow as to cross completely to this nice web-tool.

Thanks for your response. I understand how that would be useful for your use case. Our engineers would love to hear more about your idea because we're always looking for ways to improve Lucidchart and your feedback is the best way for us to do that. Would you mind adding your idea to our product feedback section? This allows our team to categorize like requests and bring them to our product team. Thanks!