Skip to main content

Allow "Change Shape" for any shape on the canvas

Related products: Lucidchart

I was confused that I could only right-click and change a shape on certain shapes. The functionality seems inconsistent to me as a user. As a user, I would like to be able to replace or “change shape” on any shape on the canvas. To me it doesn’t matter if the shape is imported or from another library, they’re all shapes that I might want to change at a later point.

To extend this, I would like to be able to select multiple instances of the same shape and be able to replace those instances with a new shape. So, if I have 3 shapes that are all the same, but in different locations and different sizes, I can can select all 3 shapes, right-click, select “Change Shape” and have the option to change those 3 shapes to another shape in any library I have access to.

I previously believed this was a bug: 

The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.

IdeaFuture Consideration

Hi all, writing to provide clarity on the status of this post with an update from our product development team!

“Change shape” is available for the following shape libraries:

• Shapes 
  • Flowchart Shapes
  • Geometric Shapes (partial)
  • Mind Mapping
  • Kubernetes
  • AWS Arch
  • Circuit Diagrams
  • Enterprise Architecture 
  • Entity Relationship
  • Site Maps

“Change shape” is not supported for the following shape libraries, and addition of this ability isn’t currently prioritized, but we’re still very interested in your feedback.

• BPMN 2.0

• Data Flow
  • Dynamic Shapes
  • Enterprise Architecture
  • Enterprise Integration
  • Geometric Shapes
  • Process Engineering
  • Sales Account Map
  • Salesforce Architecture
  • Server Rack Diagrams
  • Standard
  • UML
  • Value Stream

If any of these libraries in particular, and the “change shape” ability within them, is important to you, please let us know more in this thread.  

What about Change Shape for “My Libraries”?

could we include it on the list please?

@miguel.pinto Thanks for continuing this thread! To confirm, are you referring to the ability to change shapes within/to/from shapes in your own custom libraries?

@miguel.pinto Thanks for continuing this thread! To confirm, are you referring to the ability to change shapes within/to/from shapes in your own custom libraries?

Lets say I add a shape from the Flowchart library. If I select the swap shape option, I can swap it with ANY shaper from the flowchart library correct?

In a similar way, if I create my own library with my own shapes, I should be able to swap those shapes with ANY other shape from the same library.

Ultimatelly, any shape from any library should be swappable by ANY shape from any other library. But if there is some kind of technical constrain for that, at leat it should be possible to at least replace it to a shape from the library it belonged to.

Now, theres the funny case were I use a shake from a given library, modify it and add it to a custom library I created… Today, it will still only allow swap with a shape from the original library it was in, and not any other shape from my library where I added it.

Makes sense ?

@miguel.pinto Thanks for this detailed explanation! I understand what you’re describing - we appreciate you taking the time to explain what you’d expect to see with this feature.