Skip to main content

When using the timeline shape for a value stream map How do you add more time phases to it. For example the default comes with the data box and one line. I need to add more process times to it basically stretch the line out but include more up down spaces for times.

Hi Nick

Thanks for reaching out in the community. If you would like more markers you can set the labels to days and adjust the start and finish dates to have more timeline markers. Another thing you can do is add another timeline shape to the end of a different timeline shape to create a longer timeline. I hope this helps. 

Hi. I mean the timeline shape is that what you mean to... Is the shape with 2 boxes plus a sorry line to the left. I want to extent the line so I can show multiple times for value added and non value add...

Thank you for the reply...

Hi Nick I'm not quite sure I understand your question. Is this (the timeline in the attached screenshot) what you are talking about? Once you have set the start and finish you can select the amount/type of markers you would like. Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

If I understand correctly once you high light the Timeline( dragged from Value stream map icons left hand side menu) on top you have number of time windows select/change the number of time windows will add remove accordingly.

Hi sorry there seems to be a misunderstanding of the timeline feature i mean.

I am trying to add further blocks to this shape as per the example above it.

I am trying to do the same thing!! I have added one additional step in the process and need to capture the lead time & process time along the bottom (not sure of the official name - is it the timeline??) Therefore I need to edit this line to include more p/t and l/t but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this. I can draw a line onto it but this doesn't really work. I can add another summary box as per the screenshot above. When I select the line I can make it longer or shorter as well edit the size of the box but this is it. 

Hope this helps to clarify but it's difficult to explain without all the correct terms. 

As you may see I am new to vsm :)

This time line has been frustrating me for quite a while and nobody has answered me on how to change it.

Hey Michael

Thank you for keeping this thread going! Would you mind to clarify what exactly is frustrating you -- I'd be happy to take a closer look! 

Thank you for your help and patience! 

Has anyone solved this as I am trying to do it manually by drawing it and its very frustrating

Hi Steve thanks for posting in our Community! When you click on the shape there is a panel in the right hand side that should appear or you can click on the context panel icon. From there click "Layout" (if not currently selected) and increase the number of time windows. 

Hope this helps!