Skip to main content

Hey Lucid Devs! đź‘‹

We’re excited to introduce a new way to securely access the Lucid API using API Keys! 🔑  Even seasoned engineers sometimes find OAuth2 complex and time-consuming—it can take hours to set up properly. With API Keys, the process is far more straightforward. Simply generate an API Key in the Dev Portal and include it in your API requests!

đź›  How to Get Started

Check out our API Keys Guide!

đź”’ Are there Admin Controls?

• Yes, Admins can choose to enable/disable API Keys.
  • Apps with API Keys will only be accessible from the Developer Portal by the App creator and any Lucid Developer added as a collaborator to the app. See our App Collaborator roles guide for more information.  

🚨 Important Notes

• Treat your API Keys like passwords. Do not expose them in your client-side code or share them publicly. 
  • Regularly review and rotate your API Keys to maintain security.
  • Generally, an API Key can be used in place of an OAuth 2.0 User token, however certain endpoints– such as the Document Sharing endpoints and the Embedding Utils endpoints– require an OAuth 2.0 client.

We can’t wait to see how you leverage this new feature in your projects. Comment below to let us know your feedback, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions! 💬

Happy coding! 🧑‍💻

— The Lucid Team

I wanted to confirm, are these API Keys only supposed to work with the newer APIs and not any that are marked “Legacy”? I would like to update my data sources via API but OAuth is a heavy lift for such a simple use case.

Hi @GaryZ, thanks for your question!

API Keys are only available for certain endpoints on our REST API and unfortunately not available for our Legacy Data API (this still requires either an OAuth 1.0 or ideally an OAuth 2.0 client). In general, API Keys can replace an OAuth 2.0 User token for most REST API endpoints, but they won’t work for the Document Sharing and Embedding Utils endpoints, which still need an OAuth 2.0 client. Keep in mind, API Keys are tied to individual users and shouldn’t be included in published applications.

Here’s a list of our available API Key Grants.

Let me know if you have any more questions—happy to help!

Are there plans to migrate the datasets endpoints to the new REST API?

At this time, I'm not aware of any plans to migrate the dataset endpoints to our REST API. Although I can’t provide specific details on our roadmap, we really appreciate your feedback and would like to learn more about how you're using the dataset APIs—this helps inform future updates. Also, please keep an eye on the Lucid for Developers Community for any updates and new releases related to our API and Developer Platform.

Feel free to share more details on how you’re using the dataset endpoints, and let us know if you have any other questions!

Hi @Richard U 
I would like to implement a workflow where I teach a project manager how to mark up construction plan pdf exports within lucid using data from an outside source (construction schedule data file) using the data linking as an initial setup, but then I would build a pipeline from GCP BigQuery to LucidChart which would update the dataset in LucidCharts as it is updated by the project scheduler to enrich the markups with the latest schedule data.