Skip to main content

New Feature Request - Freeze Swimlane and timeline titles that scrolls with you as you move horizontally/vertically in diagram

Related products: Lucidchart Lucidspark

Hey Lucid Chart Builders. This feature would make this product absolutely amazing! 

I find that when I am in a process or presenting a workflow that is longer I have to scroll back to the swim lane titles to see which swim lane I am in. If the swim lane title could scroll with you as you move kind of like how in an excell document or google doc you can freeze certain rows or columns that will always show as you scroll right or down that would level up lucid chart to the next level of dynamic documentation. Thank you! 

+1

Without this feature the second you scroll to the middle of a process diagram everyone (except the person in charge of scrolling around) loses track of the context of what they are seeing. This is very frustrating.

Hey there thank you for posting in the Lucid community! Our sincere apologies for the delayed response on this thread - I wanted to follow up in case this answer may still be useful to you and to provide a solution for other users who see this thread in the future.

Thank you for your request! We're always looking for ways to improve Lucidchart and your feedback is the best way for us to keep developing a useful and effective product. I've gone ahead and submitted your idea to our product team on your behalf and it will be taken into consideration when prioritizing improvements.

For anyone else with a similar request: we would love to hear additional detail about your use case or see an example of what you're hoping to achieve in the thread below. Additionally if you've discovered a workaround to achieve something similar in the meantime we'd love to hear about it! Thanks for your request!

+1 to this as well

@mark k102 Hi Mark thanks for continuing this thread and voicing your support! We've logged your request. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you!

Yes this would be super helpful!

Hi Sheila thanks for sharing your support for this! 

100% agree this would be a very welcome feature. Especially when present Lucid flowcharts to colleagues via MS Teams calls etc. 

Hey Alan

Thanks for sharing your support for this! 

Look forward to seeing your ideas in Lucidchart--Cheers!

Agree with everyone in this chat. Sorely miss this feature and it is a huge and critical gap from making this a wonderful product. Looking forward to improvements.

Hi Ashok!

Thank you for contributing your feedback. We are always working to improve your experience with our products!

Agree with everyone else. 

Hi Gary!

Thanks for posting your feedback. We appreciate your feedback and are always working to make our products better for you and your workflow! 

Hi. This would be my first choice for a new feature - is there any progress on this?

Hey Cathy

Thank you for continuing this thread and letting your voice be heard on this topic! 

Look forward to seeing your ideas in Lucidchart--Cheers!

Completely agree.  Working on my first swimlane diagram with the tool and that feature would be incredibly helpful!

Hi Julie thanks - we definitely understand and have logged your feedback! Thanks for letting us know this is important - please let me know if there's more we can do to support your work while you're getting started!

The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.

Hi everyone! 

Thank you so much for this feedback. While this isn’t something we currently have prioritized we would love if you could continue to leave feedback and let us know how this would improve your workflows!

IdeaFuture Consideration

Can we get an update on this feature request if you are actually going to add it to the design queue or another alternative such as a watermark in the swim lane?  When presenting larger swim lanes it is virtually impossible to know which lane you are walking through.

Hi @tina baker, thanks for your question! This idea has been marked for “future consideration,” which means that the product development team isn’t currently working on this but might revisit in the future, and you’re welcome to continue adding feedback to it. For more information on this status, please review this post: 

This feature is ABSOLUTELY necessary! 

This feature is really needed!

A lot of our processes extend beyond a single screen or we have more swimlanes than fit to a single screen. Specifically while driving process mapping sessions virtually, it gets confusing for the team when I have to stop and scroll back to where the swimlane header is so we all know who is performing the activities in our process diagrams. The team is always asking these questions during our calls, to check who the activity box is for. And I always have to double-check that I’m adding a new activity box to the correct swimlane by panning out and back in.

Another problem is on RACI templates or any chart, for the same reason. It’s difficult for the team to reference or make updates when we have to keep scrolling all the way up to view the headers to make sure we are populating the information in the correct column.
Thank you.