Skip to main content

I want to have a word or two on a line between shapes in my Lucidchart doc. How do I add text in a line?

Hi Sid 

Thanks for reaching out! Simply double click on the line to add text. A text field will then appear that you can edit and move around along the line. 

Let us know if you have any more questions—we are here to help!

After a double click on the line text field does appear.  However it only holds 4 characters at 8 pt.  How can the text field be lengthened?

I also am trying to add text.  But double clicking does not work. ?  I keep having to retype the whole thing if a change is needed

Ric

Hi Richard

Thank you for posting! I've attached a gif of the functionality for inserting text into lines. Is this not what you're experiencing? 

the double click works for me but I prefer to be able to already start typing when the line is selected. draw.io has that feature it's very convenient. 

Hi Peter

We’re very interested in your feedback and committed to continually improving our products. If you’re willing to share, we’d love to hear more details about your use case or what you’d like to see in this experience posted in the Product Feedback section of the community - from here, other users can upvote it and add details of their own.

For more information on how Lucid manages feedback via this community, take a look at this post.

OK. When I double-click on a new line the text block locks to the arrowhead on my line and I can't seem to drag it to the the center of the line segment where I want it without dragging the arrowhead (endpoint) around. Help please.

Hi Brian

Thanks for reaching out to the Lucid community. To counteract this trouble you may want to try lengthening your line or simply single clicking to reveal the small blue box that is the control point of the center of the line and then moving the line using that. If neither of these options help please send a video or screenshot of the issue you are seeing. Thank you!

Hi

Is there a way to split the line text into multiple rows. Thanks

You should be able to use Shift+Enter to split the line text into multiple rows. Let me know if that doesn't do the trick!

Hello can the text be the direction of the line? Instead of simply horizontal?

Hey Shane there currently is not a way to change the direction of the line. However you can use rotate a text shape or text block and add it to the line. I understand this is not ideal and we would love your feedback on it. If you’re willing to share, please post in the Product Feedback section of the community. Thank you.

I am creating a chart that shows the relationship of people in one box to people in several boxes. I d create the box for each person in a different color and addd a line down and to the right in the same color as the box. As the line passes beneath different colored boxes to the right I add text to show the numerical value of the relationship in the same color as the box above. When more people are added tot the chart I have to lengthen the lines and when I do the text of course moves with the line. Having colored text helps me to move the text back to where it belongs but I would really like it if there were a way to prevent the text from moving.

@carson g

I am not understanding how the GIF is demonstrating how to type more than 4 characters.  Clearly you are typing more than 4 characters in a single line of text.  However I am having the problem described above:  double click on the connector line begin typing on the fourth character - the text line breaks to a new line.  What determines or sets the default parameter for connector line text string? In the GIF you simply type close reopen the box to edit and it appears to magically allow for more than four characters.  This is not happening for me.

1) is there a connector line setting?

2) is there a connector line text setting?

3) does the container/shape matter?

4) Does the distance between shapes matter?

5) can use of template be related to connector line text settings?

Hi Wesley 

Thanks for following up on this. I am unable to reproduce an instance where the text line breaks into a new line. Can you please provide a screenshot of an instance where it is occurring for you so we can deduce the circumstances that way? 

Thanks!