Question

Complex Interdependencies in Network Diagrams Using Lucid Chart?

• 16 May 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I am working on a project that involves creating a corporate IT technology network diagram. The diagram needs to show the relationships and dependencies between various devices, technologies, and products. There are many products, devices, and complex interconnections involved.

Currently, everything is divided into logical parts, and I have created complete diagrams for each part. My current task is to create a more general overview of the relationships and, most importantly, the dependencies. I tried using Layers by placing each logical block in a separate Layer. Then, I used Actions to toggle different Layers on and off depending on button clicks. However, I am not achieving the desired results and facing additional problems with this approach in Lucid Chart.

For example, imagine a diagram of a corporate computer network with servers, components, and computers. If one of the servers fails, I need to show which components are affected by this situation by clicking on the server icon. The affected components should change color or show a "red cross" indicating that they are not functioning. I used additional Layers to overlay on top of the main Layer or Layers that replace each other. While it's possible to create such a structure with Layers and Actions, as soon as changes are required, such as resizing components or rearranging them, all interactions break down. This happens because changes in one Layer need to correspondingly reflect in all other Layers; otherwise, the other Layers lose their meaning, and each Layer needs to be manually adjusted.

Also, is there a way to create a linked line between elements in separate layers? For example, I draw a link between the server on one layer and the server in another layer. If I move all elements in one layer, then the line should move along, without losing the logical connection with elements in other layers.
Is there a more intelligent automation in Lucid Chart or another approach to solving such a task?

Thank you for your assistance.

Comments

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @vilyinsky, thanks for your post and the detailed description of the issue you are encountering!

Based on your description I believe you can make use of a combination of Conditional Formatting and Custom Data to visualise the dependencies of your components. In the below example of a very simplified version of your use case, I added a “Depends on” custom data field for the component, which contains “Server 1” as the dependency. I then added a conditional formatting rule which makes the border of any shape red, if the shape data field “Depends on” is equal to “Server 1” (with more dependencies, contains would be the more suitable condition). This rule can then be toggled off and on at will. See below a recording of this in action:

Regarding your question on lines connecting shapes across layers: This is possible on my end by dragging the line onto the shape until there is a blue outline, indicating the connection. After this, even if I edit the shape on the layer, the line moves with it:

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns!

Badge +1

Wow! Thank you for such a detailed reply with examples. Let me work on this and test it on my side.