Solved

tooltip when hovering on an shape

• 12 April 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi I am trying to display some information when someone hovers their mouse over the shape.

I see there is add notes but that isn't a good customer experience for them to click and view the message as I have lot of shapes which need to have tooltip

icon

Best answer by Leianne C 4 June 2024, 10:11

View original

Comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @sashi.vakiti thanks for posting in the community! It is possible to create custom hover over text using our Conditional Formatting feature in Lucidchart. For detailed steps on how to achieve this I recommend taking a look at this Community post.  

I hope this helps. Feel free to let me know if this isn't what you are looking for or if you have any additional questions! 

Badge

@Leianne C, links in the answer are broken.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Vladimir R, thanks for flagging that! I’ve gone ahead and updated the links to the correct ones so they should be working now! Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions. Cheers!

Badge +1

@Leianne C 

I don’t see anything in conditional formatting that says “On hover”. Maybe I missed it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Romuel, thanks for commenting! You can find this option when selecting "Icons" or “Dynamic Shapes” when creating a rule. To add the hover text, toggle ‘Custom Hover Text’ on and add the required text or formula.

This will then display when you hover your cursor over the added icon or dynamic shape. Here’s an example screenshot demonstrating this:

I hope this helps! Feel free to let me know if you have any questions :) 

Badge +1

@Leianne C 

Thanks for the explanation. I’ve added it to my mindmap and it works.

However, most things in Lucidchart are very easy to do, and doing it this way isn’t so simple, so it would be even better if there were an option for Notes to appear on hover. 🙂

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Romuel, thanks for the update! I’m glad to hear you were able to get the conditional formatting working and appreciate the feedback. 

Although this doesn’t appear on hover, it’s possible to add notes to individual shapes in Lucidchart and Lucidspark by right-clicking the shape and selecting ‘Add Note’ from the menu. This will add a note icon next to the shape and you can quickly view it by clicking the icon:

That said, I can certainly see how the option for notes to appear on hover would be helpful. If you’d like to see this option in Lucid, we encourage you to share your idea and request in the Product Feedback section of this community. 

When submitting an idea, be sure to include details about your use case or what you’d like to see in this experience. This will also allow other users with similar requests to discover and upvote it, then add details of their own.

Finally, for more information on how Lucid manages feedback via this community, take a look at this post:

We appreciate your willingness to provide your requests and feedback in the Lucid Community! Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.