Skip to main content
Question

Setting a border around shapes in Lucidchart

• 18 January 2022
  • 6 replies

I have a group of items and list that I want to place a border around. I am able to place a border around them by putting a box and increase border size and make the inside translucent. But the problem is as I update that document I have to move the border box out of the way. That becomes a problem because the box then wants to become apart of other lines and the drawing is messed up and having to undo everything. Also when putting a border and title block on the page This has the same actions. Is there away to just make a box with lines and no points inside thinking I want to adjust it? This has been taking up a lot of my time for something so easy in other applications. 

Hello thanks for posting on the community!

From what you are describing with the box trying to connect to other shapes I would recommend that you disable Line Connections. This will make it so that you can manually input the lines where you would like them and that later moving the box/border around all your shapes it wouldn't affect anything. This option can be found by navigating to the File Menu and selecting the "View" menu and then unchecking the "Enable Line Connections" option. From this point you will need to drag lines onto the canvas to input them between desired shapes and they will be stationary lines that won't be affected if you move around shapes afterward. I've attached a screen recording below for your reference.

Please feel free to attach a screenshot of your diagram below if this didn't answer your question. Please also post any follow up questions you may have about your use case. Thanks!

No that is not the problem. Using the example above. I have a border like the big box and I have many objects inside it like the Text boxes. I have sent the inside of the box set to transparent and the line to 6px black. If I am trying to add to the document by editing exiting text or adding new objects the border gets in the way and moving objects is a pain.  I was playing with Layers but for some reason if I lock the new layer for border and title block I can not edit the document. What I am finding is that not to add a border and keep the title block. Is there a way to make a box that is empty inside just 4 lines? Also as I am moving around inside the border every thing slows way down then thing jump. Which was the many reason for removing the border.  

I had a similar frustration. Finally figured out a bit of a work around. Drag a flowchart shape over and save your image. You can then select the fill for the shape and select you image as the fill. Good luck! This was a bit much to add a border so hope this will be fixed in future versions.

Hi Marjorie thanks for following up on this thread and for providing your workaround!

We’re very interested in your feedback and committed to continually improving our products. If you’re willing to share, we’d love to hear more details about your use case or what you’d like to see in this experience posted in the Product Feedback section of the community - from here, other users can upvote it and add details of their own.

For more information on how Lucid manages feedback via this community, take a look at this post.

That work around works for if you only have a few boxes. I can have up to 50 that I would need to do this to and update. This also doesnt work if I place a border and title block on the page. I then have to move the title block off to the side to adjust everything inside the place it back in the same spot. Even with moving things around sometimes they do not line up and when doing presentations and showing slides it is noticable that the border and title block among other borders have moved giving an appearance of being sloppy. 

I created a request and attached a simple video to show the problem. Again moving things around is easy for one or two but doing multiples on multiple pages is very time consuming. 

Hello thanks for the post. I see that you have submitted a ticket I would recommend that you follow up there for continued specific troubleshooting. 

Thanks!