Skip to main content
Solved

Rotating a Floorplan

• 9 September 2016
  • 10 replies

Is it possible to rotate an entire room? I am creating a floor plan and the two main parts of the building are not square to each other so I need to rotate an entire room at an odd angle to the other room for it to be accurate.

I know how to rotate objects but it doesn't seem to work for a room. Is there anything I can do to make this work?

Hi Chris - Thanks for reaching out! Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to rotate an entire room although I would follow these steps:

1. Move the walls of the room to the desired angle

2. Group all the objects within the room and then rotate them to match the walls

If you're having a hard time due to complexity of the room feel free to send the URL of your document to support@lucidchart.com and we'll gladly help you with this. Thanks for using Lucidchart!

I can't group and rotate the assembly.

I also want to mirror image afterwards (e.g. draw vehicle sketch going up and down a road)

Hi Ganindu thanks for your comment. You can rotate shapes and groups by clicking and dragging the round arrow appearing at the top left corner of the shape:

You can mirror / flip shapes in the shape options menu in your toolbar:

Please not that both of these features are not available for floors walls doors and windows in the floorplan shape library. These shapes will need to be adjusted manually as described in Sara's response above.

For more information please take a look at the Work with Shapes article as well as the Floorplan article in our Help Center.

Hi unfortunately it doesn't work for me. I had to import to visio to do the operation and it was sad.  

Hi Ganindu as this seems to be related to your specific document / shape. I have created a support ticket from your comment and will follow up via email for further troubleshooting.

If anyone else is experiencing similar issues please reach out via this form so our support team can take a look at the issue. Thanks!

Hi although it is possible to group shapes and move rotate - you can't do it with walls even if you group them. I tried it - if I group just the walls I do not get the rotate arc-arrow.

Can't see a way to do it - very sad.

i am now experiencing the same frustration to rotate an entire floorplan that consists of several rooms.  just cannot rotate the whole thing.  realy frustrating.  i would think this is a necessary feature to have made available

Hi Salim

Thanks for posting in the Community!

At this time it is not possible to rotate an entire plan and the best workaround is the one shared earlier in this thread:

1. Move the walls of the room to the desired angle

2. Group all the objects within the room and then rotate them to match the walls

However we're always looking for ways to improve Lucidchart and your feedback is the best way for us to do that. Would you mind adding your idea to our Product Feedback space? Feedback share here is passed on directly to our Product Development Team for their consideration.

As a growing company we take our feature requests very seriously a we are continuously looking for how we can make our product more useful and effective for our users.

Thank you and apologies for any inconvenience caused!

Bumping this because had to search awhile and come to find out this super basic functionality is missing, hopefully this is still on a must-need feature list!

Hi @iaguser77

Thank you for the reply! If you would like to see this feature in Lucid, you can upvote this feature request:

Please let us know if you have any other questions!