Skip to main content

Hello. I'm looking to create an org chart that's quicker and easier to reconfigure compared to my AutoCAD org chart.  So far it seems like Lucid Chart is quite inflexible.  If I want to divide up the three groups of individuals that report to me (That are all teammates to one another but in different departments) it seems require adding additional direct reports which I then name after their departments.  I can't figure out how to remove "Role" or change the layout of the "Department" employee that it makes me add. 

Is there a clean way to show departments without making the org chart think they're employees? 

Is there a way to make multiple vertical stacks of teammates under one supervisor? 

Is there a template somewhere or a file someone can send me where departments can be captured?  We don't have separate managers for every single department.

I hope Lucid Chart can do these things and that my yearly subscription isn't a total waste.

Thanks.

Hi Nathan thank you for taking the time to post in the Lucid Community!

While Lucidchart's Org Chart templates allow for flexibility and customization there are some limitations the software has when creating a customized Org Chart. Currently we do not have a way to separate the employee's reporting to you into separate departments without adding an additional employee tile or adding a 'department' field to each employee.

If you are importing your data from another source such as Google Sheets you can add an additional column to your document labeled 'department' and fill the information in for each employee. Once your data is imported open the Org Chart Panel on the right hand side - this is where you can modify and select which employee fields are active on your chart as well as you can move employee tiles manually once imported. 

The workaround of adding an additional employee tile and modifying it to the departments title is our recommended workaround when wanting to separate teams by department under a single supervisor as I've outlined in the video below.

HQlGg8jAIz0aPcmiL0Exmg.gif

The Org Chart will automatically place employee's under their reporting supervisor. Each employee or department tile should add an additional tier and vertical stack with reporting employee's aligning underneath in their own stack. You can customize the shape style and overall look of your Org Chart is the "Shape Style" section of the Org Chart Panel. 

Below are two additional posts regarding Org Charts that offer a lot of information and recommendations for customization.

• If you would like to see tips on customizing your org chart check out this Community post (in English).
  • If you would like to have two employees at different levels reporting to the same supervisor check out this Community post (in English) to learn a workaround.

You can download our import example available on our Org Chart Help Center Article. I personally recommend the HR Org Chart Template although there are plenty of available templates in our Organizational Chart Templates Gallery.