Skip to main content

In Lucidchart, there is already a setting to allow vertical direct reports however if a person has many directs then the vertical column becomes very long.   

Is it possible to add people to both sides of the vertical line to ultimately allow for 2 columns?  See the image for an example.
QjyP7XcWcZ9lxASa-eaKEg.png

Hello Nick

Thanks for posting in the Lucidchart Community! You can adjust the layout of your org chart using by double clicking on one Org Chart shape. After you double-click on one of these shapes you should see this menu. From here click Layout to see a number of Layout options. You can also adjust the spacing in this menu.gkcdWALUFQkYClry8Rl3dg.png

You can also create an org chart using Group View creating a more compact Org Chart.

FpRnbQCsPGHWS7tjkq1Nww.png

The chart will appear like so: VWeYgFZIV8kd4qULwU6P3A.png

You can also move individual Org Chart shapes to positions that better fit your chart's needs. If the layout options do not fit your needs I recommend moving the shapes individually to create two columns. You can also learn more about working with Org Charts in this article in Lucidchart's Help Center. Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

I don't see the option for Org Chart and Layout Styles after I click on my org chart. Please help!

Hi Monica thanks for posting in the community! You should be able to locate your org chart's layout options by single-clicking on the org chart choosing the Layout panel then the Layout Style option. KExEvP_5_YzvkeMuzsqomQ.png

If you follow these steps and don't see this option please follow up in the thread with a screenshot of what you see so we can take a closer look. 

Thank you! How can I change the vertical spacing on certain verticals?

Hi Monica

Thanks for your response. Changes to the vertical spacing will apply across the entire org chart it is not possible to limit them to specific verticals. If you would like to suggest the ability to customize this please submit your idea in the Product Feedback section of the community - from here, other users can upvote it and add details of their own.

For more information on how Lucid manages feedback via this community, take a look at this post.

Is there a way to have all directs remain vertical? Nick's image in the original post is what my customer is looking for but I can't seem to find a way to make all the direct reports vertical. Thanks

@kdearden Thanks for continuing this thread! There are limitations Lucidchart's ability to display direct reports vertically - only the bottom tier is able to be displayed this way for legibility and logical structure as shown in this screenshot.

MoEEdOfx_Q_ztyfY1Ky-og.png

If Lance and Mila also had direct reports the current tier containing Lance Brenna Mila and Ben would need to expand horizontally for the new direct reports to be added vertically - without this there would not be additional room to logically or easily display them as they'd interfere with Ben's current location in the diagram or the ability to add more reports under David. This shift is shown below:

38obzC-XDYupgPYvp_hTHA.png

If you'd prefer additional customization options for your org charts please let our development team know in the Product Feedback section of the community - from here, other users can upvote it and add details of their own.

For anyone else with similar questions please begin by reviewing our Org Charts article from the Lucid Help Center and post any questions below!