Skip to main content

I am using the Org Chart to automate a hierarchy with images. The images are not all square and the ones that are vertical are getting cropped. How do I fit the entire image?

When I select the shape and then select Fill Color > More > Image > Scale to Fit
The place image is not changed an icon is added to the shape and Scaled to fit in the center of the shape.

Now I have my original cropped image and an icon in the middle of the shape.

2nd Org Chart question- The people at each level of the hierarchy are in alphabetical order. Is there a way to custom sort the people at the same level?

Hi Dan 

Thanks for posting in the Lucid Community! Unfortunately it's currently not possible to adjust images fit size after uploading them to the employee shapes. If the image is not squarish Lucidchart will crop it to include what's at the center of the it. In this case I would recommend crop your images and re-uploading to the respective employee shape. To do that select the employee shape > click on "Layout" in the employee options bar > Shape style > Upload New Photo."  

P_k-6ETcXimQS9i8ZahMnQ.png

Regarding your second question below while it's not possible to custom sort employees by the hierarchical level you can create group views based upon categories from your dataset. To group employees by hierarchical level as shown in the following example I added a "hierarchical level" column to my dataset and numbers for each one of the level and then created a group view for that specific data field.  

C_SAg_Xrd9M4SiNn72iDJQ.png

If you think this alternative would be useful in you case please follow these steps to create a group view for your org chart:  

1. Double-click on any element in your org chart so that the org chart data menu appears on the right of your canvas.
  2. Click Layout.
  3. Click Create Group View.
  4. Click “Next.”
  5. Choose the field from your data set by which you want to group your organization.  

OjNkBP-OZlnSs_uFi4Q3kQ.png

TUjrqu0XM0h6pBMgQm2wig.png

To learn more about how to make the most out of our org chart feature please read through our Org Charts article from the Lucidchart Help Center. 

Additionally while what you are trying to do is not currently supported in Lucidchart I can see how those features would be beneficial for other users. Would you mind adding your ideas to our Product Feedback space? We're always looking for ways to improve Lucidchart and ideas shared here passed on to the product development team for their consideration. 

Thank you for the quick and detailed response Flavia
I cannot revise the images they are being sourced from a URL

Is it possible to create a shape template that has an image container with the image scale attribute set to Scale to Fit? Then create a org chart template with the template shape? 
One of the mail reasons I am using Lucidchart is to automate the creation of a hierarchy tree using parent/child data and inserting an image.

Hi Dan 

Thanks for continuing this thread! Unfortunately it's not possible to create an org chart template with custom shapes and Sale to Fit attribute – our Org Chart Import feature only supports our native org chart shape library. You can try changing your org chart shapes' style to see if one of the options would provide a better fit size for your images.

fi63Ov0tP1kVn8oVO8HRPg.png

Please feel free to submit a feature request covering this idea – we're always looking for ways to improve Lucidchart and your feedback is the best way for us to do that. I am very sorry for the inconvenience this causes you!