Skip to main content
Solved

How to reverse engineer an ERD from a SQL script in Lucid

• 14 September 2017
  • 5 replies

I'm a Pro user in Lucidchart and I think I should have the ability to reverse engineer an ERD from an existing DB DDL script but I don't find that under the import section of the Documents tab.  Can you please tell me how to access this feature?

Thanks

Marty Brown

Hey Marty 

Thanks for reaching out! You can import a SQL script once you are in a document by adding the ERD shape library to your doc and then selecting "Import." I recommend checking out this help center article for more information. Please let me know if you have any other questions! 

You have to have a working database for LucidChart to import the "code" and generate diagram from the query provided by LucidChart. I don't have a working database - I just have SQL code for generating one. Is there no way to import this code into LucidChart to generate the ERD?

Hi Herman

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately what you're describing is not currently possible. In order to create an ERD in Lucidchart you need to run one of the provided queries in a supported DBMS to generate individual diagram shapes from your database schema.

We’re very interested in your feedback and committed to continually improving our products. If you’re willing to share, we’d love to hear more details about your use case or what you’d like to see in this experience posted in the Product Feedback section of the community - from here, other users can upvote it and add details of their own.

For more information on how Lucid manages feedback via this community, take a look at this post.

Tell me supported DBMS to generate individual diagram shapes from my database schema to import in Lucidchart.

Hi Afaq! Thanks for commenting. We support MySQL, Oracle PostgreSQL, and SQL Server. Hope this helps!