Skip to main content
Solved

How to create hyperlinks to other tabs in the Lucidchart document

• 5 November 2018
  • 16 replies

How do I create hyperlinks to different tabs in my Lucidchart document?  Thanks!

Comments

Hi Kofi

Thanks for your post! Are you attempting to create a shareable link or a published URL? 

Hi Adam

I want to create a hyperlink that automatically links you to another tab in the file...

Hi Kofi

To make sure I'm understanding correctly are you attempting to place a link within your Lucidchart document that navigates to another tab in your document? If you are, the Link to another page section of our Help Center article on Links and Hotspots details how you can do this. I hope this helps! 

Is there a way to add a hyperlink to an external source in a Lucidchart?

Hey Shayna links can connect to another page within the document an external page or an email prompt. Follow these steps to create a simple link:

1. Highlight the text or select the object you want to turn into a link.
  2. Click on the links icon in the toolbar at the top of the editor. 
  3. A window will appear with the option to select a link action. Choose what you would like to link to. Follow the prompt and add the URL
  4. Click “Apply.”

If you hover over the linked object or text a tool tip appears suggesting that you hold Shift+Ctrl (Shift+Command for Mac). When you follow that suggestion you’ll notice that linked objects glow green. Click the object to initiate the action.

Once a link is connected to an object just right-click the object to change the link. You can also click the link icon again to edit it.

Please note: links are not currently supported on mobile browsers.

Hello. Is there a way to hyperlink in Lucidchart to an external document like a word document?

My apologies if this has already been asked and answered I couldn't quite understand the replies.

Thanks in advance

Leigh 

Hi Leigh

You are able to place any URL in the action field pictured above. So if you use Word online and have a document URL you'd like to link to you can definitely link to a Word document! 

Hi!

In reading several different posts I want to first make sure my verbiage is correct. Hyperlinks are called Hotspots in Lucidchart correct? 

I need to understand how to create two different types of hotspots/hyperlinks in Lucidchart:

1. Well actually I know how to connect a hyperlink to a shape 
  2. What I don't know is how do I create separate hyperlinks for each line of blue text in this box?

Thanks! Jackie

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi Jacqueline thanks for posting in the community! 

To clarify hotspots are shapes to which you attach an action such as directing you to an email another file or web page. You can learn more about creating and utilizing this feature in this Actions and Hotspots article. 

To create separate hyperlinks for different lines of text please follow these steps for each separate line:

1. Select the word(s) that you want to link an action to. 

2. Select "More" in the upper right-hand corner.

3. Choose the Link  button. 

4. Provide details on what link you would like added to that text 

Hope this helps! Please let us know if we can do anything else to support your work. 

I want to prepare a presentation in Lucid chart that has a number of slides.   From some of the slides I want to click on an object and go to an URL on a new tab.  After seeing that site I want to come back to the presentation at the slide where I left the presentation.

So far I have:

1. Made my slides.
  2. Picked the appropriate object and entered the Link to Web.
  3. Invoked the link from build chart view.  It works fine and if I close the new tab I go back to the build chart view.

In present mode the link also works.  I get the new tab and the requested site.  However when I close the tab I go back to build chart view.  I am no longer in presentation mode.  This destroys the flow of my presentation.

Any ideas about how I could get what I want?  I even tried sending the presentation to Google slides.  The link did not work at all then.

Help

Brian

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi Brian 

Thanks for continuing this thread! Unfortunately returning to Lucidchart in presentation mode after navigating to an external link in a different tab is not currently possible. However I certainly understand how that functionality would be helpful for your presentation flow.

We’re very interested in your feedback and committed to continually improving our products. If you’re willing to share, we’d love to hear more details about your use case or what you’d like to see in this experience posted in the Product Feedback section of the community - from here, other users can upvote it and add details of their own.

For more information on how Lucid manages feedback via this community, take a look at this post.

You are also correct that the hyperlink is not maintained within the presentation upon export to Google Slides. However if you export your presentation and then recreate the link within Slides you will be able to do what you're hoping - navigate to an external link and return to your slides while still in presentation mode. Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

I tried what you suggest using Google Slides.  I exported to Slides and added my links.  I could not make it work completely.  I could go to the external site OK.  But when I came back from the internet site I was in Slides build mode not Slides presentation mode.

Then I tried Powerpoint.   It worked a treat.  I now can show off in a very flashy presentation.

My resolutions now are LucidChart for diagrams (including some very large diagrams) and Powerpoint for presentations.

Thanks

Brian

@micah b101 Every time I highlight a word to create a hyperlink it defaults to the shape. What is weird is that I was previously able to create 4 hyperlinks on specific words and then it stopped working. Your example where you link Lucidchart in the pink shape is exactly what I want to do. Would my account type impact what I can link?

F3 Bono

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

@f3 bono s Hi there thanks for continuing this thread! Apologies for the trouble you're having creating a hyperlink with your text. Can you provide more detail about what you mean when you say "it stopped working"? Are you no longer able to highlight the specific text you want or are you having trouble with the whole menu when attempting to add the web link? Or are you saying that despite selecting your desired text and adding the web link it is applying it to the whole shape instead? If you can share a screenshot of your final result where it has defaulted to the shape that would be so helpful!

Hi!

I used to be able to create different hyperlinks within one shape. For example in the shape below I could create a hyperlink for fluids electrolytes and allopurinol. Now when I highlight one word and click on the lighting bolt icon and insert my URL for my hyperlink I have found that my other hyperlinks are removed. Is there something I need to be doing differently? Thank you! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi Jaqueline

Thank you for continuing the thread! When adding the links make sure to highlight just the word you want to add the action to. If the action was successfully linked the text will become underlined. You can repeat this action for each word. 

If you are still unable to add the hyperlinks without the other hyperlinks being removed please follow up in this thread so that we can take a closer look.