Solved

Edit line to be a specific length in Lucidchart

How do make a line a specific length without grabbing with the cursor?  Is there a way like a box to enter a specific number?

icon

Best answer by Micah 7 May 2024, 22:57

View original

Comments

Hi Robert

Thanks for posting in the community! It is possible to specify specific dimensions for a shape from the "shape options" menu (see screenshot). However because lines often have one or more bend in them it may not be possible to simply specify a length. Therefore we do not currently offer this functionality. That being said we are always looking for ways to improve! If you have any suggestions on how we could make things better please let us know via our Product Feedback space

TMWOhGBJQFF3PUMLKBEngg.png

Badge

Hi, has this function been added to Lucidchart? It would be great to tweek how the org chart looks. I am making the chart for someone else and they want some of the lines shortened. Do I need to find another program? Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hey @dciccarelli - can you add a little more detail about what you’d like to do on your project? Moving the shapes in the org chart will automatically shorten the connecting lines. Is there something else you are looking to achieve though?

Badge

Hi and thank you for taking the time to help with my question. On the chart below, I would like to move the circled shapes up, essentially shortening the lines, but leave the rest of the chart as is. I have not figured out how to move the shapes without disconnecting them from their lines. 

Thanks, again!

Badge

@Leo Barnes 

Hi and thank you for taking the time to help with my question. On the chart below, I would like to move the circled shapes up, essentially shortening the lines, but leave the rest of the chart as is. I have not figured out how to move the shapes without disconnecting them from their lines. 

Thanks, again!

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @dciccarelli, thanks for this explanation, and thanks @Leo Barnes for getting the conversation going. Unfortunately, this sort of independent adjustment of certain branches isn’t currently supported in Lucidchart. We’d love to hear more about this, though, in our Product Feedback space of this community - ideas submitted here are surfaced to our development team when prioritizing improvements to Lucidchart.

However, I do have two recommendations for you that may be suitable workarounds:

1. Use the Layout tool to adjust the length of your org chart lines overall. While this does affect every line in your org chart, perhaps it will be effective for getting the size closer to what you desire. 

1. The spacing between tiers in an org chart is automatically determined by establishing a “buffer” space based on the largest shape in a tier. In this case, one employee tile in your third tier is longer than the rest (circled below in blue), and this is the one that the buffer is based off of. 

If you resize this particular employee tile, either by shortening it or shortening + widening it, you can decrease this buffer space. I’ve demonstrated both in the GIF below:

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Brilliant, thanks @Micah - now I learned something new as well 💪🏼

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

@Leo Barnes I’m right there with you - always a new tidbit to discover!