Skip to main content
Solved

Can't get rid of the hand tool in Lucidchart

• 1 November 2019
  • 20 replies

Somehow the hand tool has appeared on my Lucidchart diagram and i'm no longer able to drag objects around with the point/drag tool. 

I can't find any documentation about how to switch between these tools. 

Thank you.

ryan

Comments

Hi Ryan

Thanks for posting in the Lucidchart community! Most other users encountering this or similar problems have been able to restore the drag functionality by refreshing the page or by logging out and then logging in to their Lucidchart account. If neither of these resolves the issue it is also worth testing the following: 

• Try opening your document in a private or incognito window. Private/incognito windows disable cookies cache and browser extensions that could potentially contribute to this issue.
  • Try connecting to a different network. Sometimes account performance issues can be related to internet security/speed issues. 

If none of the above helps to resolve the issue please respond in the thread with the following so we can take a closer look:

• A screenshot of the issue.
  • The URL to your document.
  • A screenshot of the associated Javascript Console output after reproducing the issue. You can open your Javascript Console by pressing Ctrl+Shift+J (if your computer is a Windows/Linux) OR Cmd+Opt+J (if your computer is a Mac).

Hope this helps! Thanks for your help and patience.

Has this been fixed yet? I'm seeing this comment 1 year later and I still have the hand tool randomly popping up and I have no idea how to get rid of it other than to restart the session.

Hi Roland 

Thanks for posting in the Lucidchart Community! I'd love to take a closer look at the issue you're seeing so I've reached out to you via email. If anyone else encounters this problem please try the steps included above. If you continue to experience the issue please follow up in the thread so that we can take a closer look. Thanks!

This happened to me today and hand tool somehow enabled and I was not able to drag/resize any of the objects in my diagram. There does not appears to be an option to disable it but I think I somehow disabled the hand tool after I try map one of the objects to another...

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi Bernie 

Thanks for posting on this thread. Just to recap- the hand tool should appear if you right-click and hold or if you press and hold the space bar on your keyboard. You should see the regular cursor again if you release the right click or space bar.

If you're not seeing this behavior and you have tried the steps posted by Chase in the first comment would you mind following up in the thread for further troubleshooting? Thanks!

Dear Help Centre Team

I also ran into this problem since a few weeks ago and It is really irritating and every time it happens I restart the program. 

Would you please help me to get it fixed.

Thanks a lot

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi Ikhwan

Thanks for posting and apologies for the trouble. If you've tried the troubleshooting steps detailed above and are still experiencing the issue will you please follow up in the thread with the information Chase outlined so we can take a closer look? 

To echo Emma if we identify a bug we will follow up in this thread with more information.

Thank you!

This is happening to me as well. It started happening after I began locking certain items. I don't know if that is related to the bug.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi Network A

Can you try the steps outlined in Chase's response at the top of this thread to see if that clears up the issue? If the issue is not resolved please follow up in the thread and include a screenshot of the issue and a screenshot of the associated Javascript Console output after reproducing the issue so we can take a closer look.

Thanks!

I have found what triggers the "stuck hand tool" issue for me. It is after triggering the "Find and Use Features" search window with "Cmd+Spacebar". If I simply click away from the search window the cursor is stuck on the hand tool. Hitting "Spacebar" again returns the cursor to the normal selection tool.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Thanks for taking the time to share that solution! I'm sure that will be extremely helpful to those that encounter this. I'll share this with others on the support team as well. 

This just started happening to me today. In my case the cursor isn't stuck and updates correctly. However clicking *any* mouse button results in hand-tool behaviour. Click&drag with the left mouse button doesn't select. Right-clicking no longer brings up the context menu. I've tried refreshing logging out and an incognito window to no avail. Other solutions involving pressing&holding the space bar or other mouse buttons also don't fix the behaviour.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi Ediwin thanks for continuing this post! I saw that you had submitted a support ticket as well so I've responded there directly with some troubleshooting steps.

If anyone is having a similar issue and the troubleshooting steps and solutions in this post didn't work for you please follow up in the thread so we can take a closer look what you are experiencing. Thanks! 

Im getting the same bug. Its was driving me nuts. And it only seemed to happen in one of my documents. I tried coping that doc into another doc and that would work momentarily but then the bug would come back and id be stuck on the hand tool.

Anyway it turns out it has something to do with my Wacom as I dont seem to to get the bug when using a mouse or the trackpad. 

Hope that helps someone! 

Not fixed yet ?

I dragged my page by click and holding he mouse right key.

Now I can't select objects by clicking and dragging the left button.

When I click the left button pointer changes to 'hand' and drags the enire page.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @pedro o thanks for posting and apologies for the trouble. I saw that you had also submitted a support ticket and have reached out to you directly there to go through some troubleshooting steps.

As my colleagues have mentioned above you should see the regular cursor again after releasing the right-click or spacebar. If you are experiencing something different please let us know so that we can assist with troubleshooting. Hope this helps! 

I am using Chrome with Lucidchart on macOS using Wacom Intuos S.  I can confirm that I still run into all the issues people have reported.  Wacom with Lucid is helplessly unusable.

1. Hand tool appears when you try to do click and select.  So instead of selecting objects you are panning the page.
2. Right click does not work at all

I don't have the same issue with Omnigraffle.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @jerry c102 thanks for sharing your experience and continuing this thread. It looks like you've already submitted a support ticket and someone from my team assisted you there. I'll also share some information here incase anyone else has a similar issue. 

Lucidchart should work with Wacom tablets however they are not optimized on our end. If Wacom optimization is something that is something you'd like to see, we’d love to hear more details about your use case or what you’d like to see in this experience posted in the Product Feedback section of the community - from here, other users can upvote it and add details of their own. For more information on how Lucid manages feedback via this community, take a look at this post.

Some Lucidchart users that use Wacom tablets have also mentioned that restarting the tablet or reconnecting it has helped resolve the issue. We have also seen users mention that changing the selection mode to freehand rather than triangle has helped. 

Thanks for your request and I apologize for any inconvenience this causes you. Hope this helps!

Hi @leianne c is there a list of pen tablets (Wacom like with no active display like iPad) that are optimized for Lucidchart on macOS?  Please also let me know which browser (if not Chrome) that you have verified pen tablets with.

I will separately open a ticket in the feature request form for Wacom.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @jerry c102 thanks for submitting a feature request and following up in this thread. Unfortunately we don't have a list as this is not specifically optimized/supported in Lucidchart.

However our other Lucid product lucidspark.com works with any touch screen computer or Wacom tablet you might attach to it. There are occasionally some limits to functionality on these devices but we do support basic functionality like moving around drawing and tapping.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to let us know if you have any additional questions.