Skip to main content

Hi all,

I’m trialling LucidChart, primarily for UML Class Diagrams and am trying to establish if is supports the following scenario (and sorry if this is a sill question; I’ve really only been using it for 30 mins!):

1. I save a “Shape A” to the Custom Shapes Library
  2. I save a “Shape B” to the custom shapes library
  3. I create a relationship between Shape A and Shape B and save it to the Custom Shapes Library
  4. I select “Shape A” on a new diagram
  5. I select “Shape B” on the same diagram

My ‘requirement’ is to see the relationship between Shape A and Shape B automatically filled in on the new diagram.

Does LucidChart support that, as very standard functionality? If so, can someone please indicate to me how? I’m not so much in need of a drawing too (Visio can do that :-); I really want something to manage entities (context: I’m of an age where I used to use Rational Rose and I’m pretty sure it supported the above scenario!)

Thanks very much in advance :-)

Hi @rob_faller, thanks for your post! What you are describing is not possible with custom shape libraries & custom shapes. It is not possible to predetermine relationships for shapes that automatically get shown when dragging the shapes from the library onto the canvas, but we’re very interested in your feedback and committed to continually improving our products. Please first search the Product Feedback section of this community (with the filter Topic Type = Idea) to see if it’s already been submitted. If so, please add any additional details you’d like and upvote the request - this consolidation helps to refine feedback and properly capture the popularity of the request.

If no one has submitted this idea yet, please create one of your own and be sure to include details about your use case or what you’d like to see in this experience. This will also allow other users with similar requests to discover and upvote it, then details of their own.

Finally, for more information on how Lucid manages feedback via this community, take a look at this post: Feedback and Feature Requests | Community

However, since you mentioned ‘entities’, Lucidchart does offer Entity Relationship capabilities: If you import a database using the ERD import, the relationships between tables will be shown automatically as soon as you drag related tables to the canvas. You can find more information on this in the Entity Relationship Diagrams article in the Help Center.

Thanks very much for your prompt response Eric. Now, I do understand that given your title you may not want to answer this but, as I am reviewing what’s available, do you happen to know of any products that  currently support the scenario I describe? I’d really appreciate any direction from you (or anyone else). BTW outside of my specific scenario I think LucidChart looks really good, actually (really impressive integration)!

Unfortunately I am not able to provide any information on features found in other products, but I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have about Lucidchart 😊.