Solved

Auto cleanup and straighten ERD lines

Badge +1

As the first hire on the data team, I’m modeling from scratch our business entities and relationships in order to create an ERD. After reviewing my first draft with the application team and making changes, lines are bent all over the place. Is there a way to have Lucid simply redraw lines with the fewest right angles (ie., straight lines). It is VERY tedious to manually do this.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Emma B 2 May 2024, 17:09

View original

Comments

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hey @Zoomer

Yes, there is an easy way to change the format of your lines! Drag, and/or use Shift + Click to select your lines > select the line shape on your tool bar > click the right angle, curved, or straight option. Watch the Gif below to see a demonstration! 

Badge +1

Thanks for the quick reply @Emma B . Due to the large number of entities, I need to use right angles. 

Simple example: after rearranging these two entities, the line looks like this:

There should be a way to select both entities or the line and have Lucid optimize the line like this:

Obviously, with many more entities and relationships, the canvas gets ugly when things are moved around. The app should be smart enough to clean up the lines as much as possible. I did it manually, but very tedious and time consuming.

thanks!

Badge

I understand your plight, @Zoomer. While this is mark “answered”, the given answer doesn’t really get to the heart of your question.

Arhictects need a feature that auto size and moves entities on the pallete so that all relationships have straight lines (with the added caveat that the lines do not cross) to improve readability. I’m hoping for the AI enhancement that delivers on that dream soon. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Thanks for your comment @JP Seabury! Unfortunately, this isn’t currently supported in Lucid, but we’re very interested in your feedback and committed to continually improving our products. Please first search the Product Feedback section of this community (with the filter Topic Type = Idea) to see if this idea has already been submitted. If so, please add any additional details you’d like and upvote the request - this consolidation helps to refine feedback and properly capture the popularity of the request.

If no one has submitted this idea yet, please create one of your own and be sure to include details about your use case or what you’d like to see in this experience. This will also allow other users with similar requests to discover and upvote it, then add details of their own.

Finally, for more information on how Lucid manages feedback via this community, take a look at this post:

https://community.lucid.co/welcome-to-the-lucid-community-15/feedback-and-feature-requests-5439 

Badge

I have noticed a line behavior very similar to what you are asking for @Zoomer.  I haven’t dug deep, but it appears that if I connect the line to the center of the artifact, instead of at the edge, when I move the artifact, the line connection moves to be more efficient.  I’m not sure how much that will help on entity diagrams, but you might give it a try.