Skip to main content

title speaks for itself.  why is there no easy way to delete a template?  all of your responses in the help section talk around the issue.  how do i delete a template?  if it's not possible to delete a template why not?  frustrating i have to do research on this subject.

I haven't been able to delete a personal template either. It doesn't show in my Documents (I've looked in the folders just in case = it isn't there).

I've tried using it and converting it to Template but it only creates a copy of the same template thus deleting only gets rid of its copy. I'm stuck with the original V1.

Hi Brian and Sandra thank you for posting in the Lucid community! Our sincere apologies for the delayed response on this thread - I wanted to follow up in case this answer may still be useful to you and to provide a solution for other users who see this thread in the future.

You should be able to delete a template just as you would a regular document: locate it within your Documents folder choose the More menu and choose "Delete." Note that it is distinguished as a template from other documents as shown in this example screenshot:

This template will also be present under Templates in the "Personal" section. However when accessed here you do not have the ability to edit or delete the template only to create a new document based on it. If you have attempted deleting your template from within your Documents list and are unable to locate or delete it please don't hesitate to let me know as this is not intended behavior and we will gladly continue our investigation! 

For anyone else with a question about templates please begin by reviewing our Work with Templates article from the Lucid Help Center and post any additional questions below!

Dear Micah 

"If you have attempted deleting your template from within your Documents list and are unable to locate or delete it please don't hesitate to let me know as this is not intended behavior and we will gladly continue our investigation!" 

This is what I wrote in my post and posted a screen shot to support: the template is not in my Documents although it appears in my Personal templates.

@sandra f Thanks for getting back to me! This sounds like unusual and we'd be glad to take a closer look! To confirm is the template in question "Blank Swimlanes"? If so I recommend doing a search for "blank swimlanes" in the search bar at the top of your home page. While I see that it's not located on the highest level of your documents page alongside your other template "Gabarit CCSMTL" I believe that this search will locate it from wherever it is in your other folders. Then you will be able to delete the template from the search results list. Please give this a try and if you're still unable to locate your document please get in touch using this form so that our support team can take a closer look!

Using the search bar worked and I was able to delete the template. Thank you for your help Micah.

Sandra glad to hear it! Feel free to continue this thread with any other questions you have. 

I've unintentionally created a custom template and it's displayed under my Documents in the Templates section. I need to delete the actual template so it's not used by anyone in the future. Important: I'm not referring to a document created from the template I mean the template itself. I do not see any controls in my personal templates section to allow me to delete a custom TEMPLATE once it's been created. Please Help

@terrie w Thanks for continuing this thread! In order to delete the template itself you will need to locate the template within your Documents folder not your Templates folder. While the template is of course present within your Templates folder accessing it here it what allows you to generate a new document or board based on that template but not edit the original template (or delete it). If you take a look at my Official Comment above from the 24th you'll see how the template in the Documents folder is denoted as such with a "TEMPLATE" label above the title. Once you locate it you should be able to delete it just as you would a regular document: locate it within your Documents folder choose the More menu and choose "Delete." Please give this a try and let me know if you have additional questions. 

The problem I think Is I don’t not want to delete the original document the template was created from. It was shared with a team. When I look at it in my Documents it’s now titled template but also shows its shared and there is only the one document. So how do I deleted the template with out destroying the document from which it was created since the team is still using it?

@terrie w Thanks for getting back to me and letting me know that you still want the original document but not the template. To clarify the original document and the template are one and the same in Lucidchart and do not exist simultaneously - there is not the source document as well as the template the source document becomes the template. If you want to convert the template as it exists now back to a document simply choose the same More menu and select the option to "Convert to Document." You'll still own this document in your Documents list but because it is no longer a template it will no longer appear in your "Personal" templates folder or your colleagues' "Team" templates folder. You can still share the file as a document with those team members. I hope this helps!

Thank You! that does help one last question. When I convert the template back into a document what happens to the original link I shared with the team for the document before I accidently made it a template. Will the previously shared link to the document remain stable for my team's use?

@terrie w I'm glad that was helpful! Good question - yes the original sharable link you generated should remain functional and the shared document should remain accessible to your team! Please let me know if this is not the case. 

Ok thanks... I'm ready to convent the template back into a document now but I don't see that as an option from my documents folder when I select the template and click More. Is the option named differently in the lost displayed below?

@terrie w My apologies I didn't catch that you are using Lucidspark not Lucidspark. Instead of "documents" files in Lucidspark are called "boards" - choosing that very last "Convert to Board" option will convert it from a template back to the original.