Skip to main content

Hello all. 

I imported a bunch of contacts I have from an XLSS file into a new org chart. Editing them is a nightmare. You click on an object and it will bring the items and fields up on the right hand side but you cannot edit any of them.

I looked and this is the same if you build a brand new org chart. How can anyone use this? Very unfriendly UI and usability.

Hi Ron thanks for posting in the Lucid community. I'm sorry for the frustration you've experienced and I'd be glad to help. 

The org chart panel that appears on the right side of the editor is intended to help you view and customize the data attributes that display on your org chart. If you'd like to share feedback about the UI or the way that it appears in the editor we'd be glad to hear more in our Product Feedback space

When you say that you're not able to edit any of your fields could you please clarify what you mean? Are you attempting to edit the data that you imported itself (for example updating an employee's title to something different than what is in your source file)? Or are you attempting to edit the way that a field displays on your diagram (for example enabling a "phone number" field to appear on each employee tile)? Any screenshots of what you're experiencing will be helpful for me to understand the problem. 

It’s like he said. Data fields can’t be edited.  See screen shot. No way or editing a field.

There doesn’t seem to be 2-way integration between the source doc and the chart.

I’m reverting to building a new org chart from scratch. i.e. no import.

@Marcus Aurelius Thanks for continuing this thread. Can you confirm what data source you imported to build your org chart? Editing imported data directly within the Org Chart panel isn’t currently supported. For example, I can’t update Mila’s ID by clicking and directly replacing the text there because this information comes from the shown CSV. 

Only custom, manually-built shape data can be edited in this way.

Updating data that you imported is possible, though - you must make changes in your original data source, then refresh or replace the data set within your org chart. Finally, a two-way sync between the data source and org chart isn’t currently supported, but we’re actively researching this area - if you’d like to take part, you can learn more about our research efforts here

Thanks @Micah .

I’ve found that I can edit data, names and roles etc, directly in the diagram, but not in the data panel.  So, I can at least continue with the diagram  But I’m now at the point, given there is no 2-way sync, that I want to separate the diagram from the backing document. Is there a way to do that? Actually - does it matter? Can I just continue and treat the diagram as the master and forget about the original ‘seed’ document?

The source data was an excel file.

Regards

Marc

Hi Marc,

Is your name really Marcus Aurelius?! Epic, I love it! 

I made this video to explain how Lucid isolates the data source in the org charts, and how if you wanted, you can download changes made to the file, but also lock a copy if you want. You should be able to just use the org chart without worrying about the OG Excel file being affected. Let me know if this doesn’t answer what you’re looking for, happy to help!

https://play.goconsensus.com/ufeeddbe3?autoplay

Hi, Ron (and Marcus)!

I am bumping this thread because you’re working with excel files in Lucidchart.  I wanted to let you both know that we are actively developing an Excel integration to import spreadsheets from Office 365 business accounts.  The net benefit is linking your Microsoft account with Lucid, and letting you import your files and maintain 2-way syncing between Lucid and your Excel spreadsheet. 

If you (or anyone reading this) is interested, shoot me a DM. I can get you onboarded to our Excel beta.  We’re actively looking for testers that can provide feedback and feature requests for this new capability.