Skip to main content
Solved

Swim Lane Headings On Multiple Pages

• 26 October 2017
  • 5 replies

How do I get my swim lane headings to repeat when I go over one page?

Hi Vicki

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately there is no built-in way to have your headings repeat when your swim lane spans multiple pages. The best way to work around this is to add multiple swim lane containers to account for your multiple pages.

Well can you add this functionality? Using the Convert to Master on page 1 and then on page 2 using Apply Master would get all the swim lanes on page two with them spaced as I wanted same as page 1 which is fine as far as it goes. However any diagramming on p1 is then automatically replicated on p2. What is the point of Master pages if you can't have a framework as a master (like master slides in PowerPoint) with fresh text and diagrams on each page. Is there a workaround?

Hi Inge

It sounds like you want to basically have a page template that is the base swim lane and then customize it on different pages in your document. The best way to do this would be to create your swim lane outline in one page first and then make that a Master Page. This way you can apply that as a template page elsewhere in your diagram before customizing the swim lanes themselves.

Outside of this workaround, please share your idea in the product feedback community space. Our development team monitors and reviews this space to prioritize projects and feature development. We always appreciate you sharing ideas around what you’d like to see in Lucid.

Hmm... my issue is somewhat the reverse of Inge. I want changeable information that should be updated on every page when changed like company logo addresses phone numbers company website links and minor "look and feel" page elements to be on the Master page. Then I want page elements and information that is likely to be specific to that page but is desireable to be easily replicated and revised on a page by page basis to be on a Template page.

My question is: should I apply the Master page to a blank page first and then the Template page (each having no overlapping elements or features); or should I apply the Template page first and then the Master page? It seems to me that the Master page should be applied first and then the Template page because the Template will occupy the "blank" areas of the Master page and won't be overridden by any changes to the Master page.

Of course this won't work if the "blank" areas of the Master page overwrites the elements introduced by the Template and turns them blank again. What is the proper way to  use the Master and Template pages in this scenario? 

Hi Barry

If you apply your Master page it will reset the rest of the edits on your page so I would recommend starting with your Master Page application for these situations. Then I would also recommend looking into creating themes in order to customize content on a given page. This should allow you to make changes to individual pages after using your Master Page.