Skip to main content

I am a newb but like the functionality of Smart Containers for auto formatting of some structured information I am capturing. The challenge I have is that I cannot change any of the formatting in terms of the size of each of the objects in the container. I.E. I would like 4 boxes arranged in two columns and rows (have that sorted) but want to make the entire container and contents scale larger (can't find a way to do that). There are some other idiosyncrasies but solving this would be huge for me.

The main functionality I want is for the elements to automatically line up and the ability to click the add button to add new elements (variety of reasons I want the add button and not just hit enter to add a new line) If there is a way outside of smart containers to accomplish this I am all ears.

Hi Nick!

Thank you for posting in the community. We're happy to help!

For starters I would recommend you review our Visualize Data with Smart Containers Help Center Article for more details on how to optimize your experience. 

Unfortunately what you are trying to do is not currently supported in our Smart Containers feature and there doesn't seem to be a workaround at this time. However we're always looking for ways to improve Lucidchart and your feedback is the best way for us to do that. Would you mind adding your idea to our product feedback space

Thanks for your request and I apologize for any inconvenience this causes you. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

Hi Nick

With Smart Containers I actually advise to use formats such https://lucid.app/lucidchart/c1c59e85-047f-4349-bda5-530495936c37/edit?page=0_0&invitationId=inv_b152df0d-a692-4c06-ad27-a39fb1f4c413# since it gives you adaptability with both horizontal and vertical matrixes. Feel free to use this template. 

This is easiest to do under the containers panel instead of the shapes panel. The multidimensional swimlane under UML State/Activity in the container panel makes this an easy process. Feel free to response with additional questions. 

@Vince B Not sure how I missed this back when you posted but then I got pulled to another project. I am back on the original and would love to see the template your reference. I cannot access it though. Still getting a handle on the LucidChart business so not sure if I have to request or you have to grant it first.