Skip to main content

Is there a way to pass parameters (data) from one shape to another based on an action?  I’m trying to populate a stationary shape with the description from a shape that I select.  The shapes I’m using have data linked to them.  I see that the IDE has a “Selected objects” section, so I was hoping there was some way to use the Lucid formulas to accomplish this.  Any help would be appreciated.

Hey, I’m a Solutions Engineer here at Lucid and am super excited to help you with your question! This is possible with a work around using custom data fields and a custom search box in your Lucid document. This will allow you to use formulas on groups that have a similar data value, without having to select them. 

Here is the video explaining it,
https://share.zight.com/ApuPyWLN

I appreciate the quick response, but unfortunately, I don’t think that will work for my needs.  my application “eco-system” diagram has shapes that represent each application (all have data linked) within our eco-system.  When you select one of the application shapes, I open a layer to display the description.  This is view-only diagram setup to look like an application (users don’t have much control) and ease of use for the user is my primary goal.

Ultimately, I was wanting to pass each shape name to the “description” shape so that I could glean the “description” of the shape being selected and display it in a common shape.  This would allow me to eliminate many, many layers.  But it seems there is no straight forward way to do that.

Again, I appreciate your help and suggestion!

Darn! I think your idea is an awesome one, and I’d highly recommend leaving us some product feedback around this idea at this link.

Hi! I’m Micah from Lucid’s community team. 👋 I thought you, and any others who might come across this topic in the future, might be interested in Lucid’s Data Trusted User Group. This group is made up of knowledgeable users who regularly analyze and visualize data in their work. As part of this group, you’ll have the opportunity to connect directly with Lucid’s product team, gain early access to beta features, and share insights about your needs, shaping the future of Lucid’s data solutions 🎉 You can learn more and request to join here. Thanks!