Skip to main content

I am trying to set apply a change to the entire chart. I cannot figure out how to be on the "page" layer and choose the shape that I want and set it as default.

The help article says this:

You can apply a stylistic change to your entire org chart or to an individual shape or line. To apply a change to the entire chart make sure you are editing the chart while on the “page” layer of your document. To apply a change to an individual shape make sure you are editing from within the org chart group. You can also set a default shape style to save time when styling your org chart.

It does not work.

Hi Michael thanks for posting in the community! Apologies for the trouble with styling your org chart. To select the org chart at the "page" layer and apply a style to all employee shapes simply single-click any shape of the chart then apply your style. To select and style an individual employee tile double click on the org chart to enter the org chart editing mode then single click on the employee you'd like to edit. Note that once you double click on the org chart a thin gray banner appears at the top of the editor with the text Page > Org Chart indicating that you are at the "org chart" level and not "page" level. I've demonstrated both of these steps in the GIF below. 

To use an individual employee's specific styling as the default select that individual employee choose the Layout panel and select Set Current as Default.  

Any new employee shapes that are created will have this default applied to them. However this doesn't affect existing shapes because any previously applied styles (such as the blue color in the example above) override any defaults. To remove the overriding styles simply select the employee shape(s) and choose the Clear Overrides button in the Layout panel of the org chart menu. Once the override is cleared the default style will apply. 

For others with similar questions please begin by reviewing our Org Charts article from our Help Center and post any additional questions below!

Thank you so much! That works. 

@micah b101 I came across this thread when doing a similar search.  I see that I am able to set stylistic changes such as background color as default style.  I do not appear to be able to set layout changes such as increased width or additional Employee Fields as default.  Is this expected?  Thanks.

Hi Evan thanks for continuing this thread - I'm happy to help!

- Regarding layout changes like increased width: While some style settings like these shown under "Layout Style" and "Shape Style"

8yLOOLjFKN1DC-aiBhxuSA.png

will be automatically applied to any new employee tiles created width and similar attributes are not possible to set as defaults. You might find it useful however to use the Match Size function here - first resize one employee tile to the width you want then after selecting all others right-click and choose "Match Size" then "Width" "Height" or both. 

cvId3z_P55OlF51vXAe4eQ.gif

- Regarding employee fields: It is also not possible to set employee fields as a default. However these can be edited for every employee simultaneously under the "Employee Fields" section of the Layout tab by single-clicking your org chart then selecting or de-selecting the fields . 

Q7Dl6d5GQC3Oghg5oWLG3Q.gif

While I hope these workarounds are useful I certainly understand how the ability to set both of those attributes as defaults could be useful and efficient for your workflow. If you'd like to promote the idea to our development team we'd love to hear additional use case details via the Product Feedback space in this community. Ideas submitted here are considered when prioritizing improvements to Lucidchart. Thanks for your feedback and apologies for any inconvenience. Please let me know if you have additional questions.