Skip to main content

I'm trying to create an org chart for our business via Excel spreadsheet data import. We would like to use our employee badge pictures but they're hosted on our intranet server. I.e. if you're directly connected to our network or VPN you can see the pictures otherwise you can't. So LucidChart can't see our images where they're natively hosted.

Is there any way to get around this other than to manually import each image once the org chart import function has created the employee hierarchy (which isn't really feasible since we have hundred's of employees)? Is there no way to map image -> employee if you don't post all your images to a public website?

Hey Ross

Thank you for posting in the Lucid Community! This is a common issue and I would be happy to help you with our built-in workaround which is a manual bulk import.

You will need to have all of the employee photos saved to your computer as a JPG or PNG file. Once that is done you can select the Org Chart navigate to the right contextual panel and select Shape Style under the Layout tab. From there select upload photos. You should see the following popup window: 

Be sure all of the files have the employees name or ID number and Lucidchart will automatically assign the photos to the correct employee. 

Hope this helps--please let me know if you have any other questions! 

Yeah so the bulk limit is 200 files. Would have been nice to mention that. I can see based on other forum posts that increasing this limit is "impossible". Is our only choice to move to a more robust diagraming provider?

Hi Ross

Thank you for getting back to me with that information and I understand you're having trouble trouble importing images to your company's org chart. Can you please clarify what occurred when you attempted to import greater than 200 images? Please also send a screenshot of any error messages that appeared.

Thank you for your help and patience!

And the icing on the cake: choosing to create individual trees for each executive committee member when you're importing the spreadsheet splits the chart into 5 separate pages. And when you choose to upload images you can only upload to a single page! So first I have to split my 3000 images into 15 folders containing 200 pictures each. Then I upload each folder one at a time. Repeat 10x times. Then I go the next page. Once again manually bulk import all 15 folders. Repeat for the next page. And then again for the 4th page. And again for the 5th page. 

Hi Ross

Thank you for your message. I can understand your frustration with the upload limit and the complexity with organizing your image files when your org chart is divided across multiple pages. I am happy to support you to most effectively use the Org Chart feature in Lucidchart and answer any questions you have.

I noticed the error message in your screenshot:

"File names in red couldn't be matched to your dataset and won't be uploaded. Please rename those files and try again." 

To resolve this error file names must contain the employees’ names or employee IDs (as they appear in your dataset). Names can be separated by hyphens underscores or other punctuation.

If your images are stored via publicly accessible URL and these URLs are listed in a column of your employee dataset you will have the ability to render the images in your org chart after initial import. When you select them from your local directory we are generating a URL for the image on one of our servers to be used in your org chart (shown in the "URL" field after you upload the photo). As you have seen uploading local files has a limit of 200 images per upload. I apologize for any inconvenience these limitations may cause you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!