Skip to main content

I'd like some orgchart hierarchies to be vertical and some to be horizontal.  For example in the image below ASSARAF PLAKS and GLISIC are all direct reports of ARZY but only ASSARAF is a manager the others are direct reports of ARZY.  That said it takes up for too much space to lay out all direct reports horizontally and I need them to be reflected vertically in two groups (with ARZY as manager - as I've noted with red pen).  How can this be done?  

Hi Alison

Thanks for posting in the Lucidchart Community!  Unfortunately there isn't an direct way for accomplishing what you've described at this time-- if they report to the same person they will technically be in the same row. 

As a workaround in the meantime you could manually add a new org chart shape directly above the two non-managers in question change the line and fill color of the blank shape to transparent and remove the fields within. At this point it will appear like you have a blank space in your line from the "hidden" org chart shape. You can then disable line connections in your page settings and drag a line out to fill the blank space. I hope this helps! 

Hi, I have the same question as Alison.  Was this feature updated?  Her question was posted 3 years ago.   

Hi @iris.gam, thank you for continuing this thread! Unfortunately, due to do the logical and hierarchical constraints of an org chart it is not possible to display only certain branches or groups of direct reports vertically while others still expand horizontally.

The following community post has some great examples of workarounds that may be useful for your use-case. 

However, we're always looking for ways to improve Lucid products. If you'd like the ability for customized structures to be supported in Lucid, would you mind sharing your idea with the Lucid Community following the steps detailed in this community post? Ideas shared in the community are shared with our product development team for consideration.

Thanks in advance for your contribution!