Skip to main content

I am using the LucidChart integration to insert diagrams in Google slides and docs.  I have seen especially in Google slides that the resolution of the diagrams are very poor and do not match the resolution in LucidChart.  I have looked around and can not find any way to fix this.  Has anyone seen this problem?  And if so... how did you fix it??

Hi Scott when using our Google add-ons if you resize the diagram to be larger than intended or if your diagram contains a lot of details it may appear blurry upon insertion. If this is the case I recommend exporting your diagram from Lucidchart as a JPEG or PNG and inserting it as an image then it will have better quality. If you don't think your diagram fits those either of those two explanations or you think it's more blurry than expected we'd be happy to take a closer look. Please submit a support ticket here and include a screenshot of the diagram inserted in Slides/Docs and the diagram URL from within Lucdichart. Thanks!

I'm also experiencing this but unfortunately can't post a screenshot as it contains proprietary content. I've tried increasing the size of the content in the diagram (essentially just "diagonally scale up everything and increase font sizes accordingly") but it still gets imported in Slides at the same base window size (about a quarter of the slide area) so when I diagonally scale up the embedded window in Slides the resolution remains low.

I'm generally curious how the LucidChart->Google Slides embedding works - is there an understanding of page size between the two programs? At what dpi is Slides reading content? Basically what quantity or scale can I expect to remain constant during the translation process?

Hi Nils thanks for sharing your experience in the community!

Unfortunately the blurriness you are seeing when inserting a diagram into Google Slides is due an issue on Google’s side. I recommend exporting a .pdf or .jpeg of your Lucidchart document and resizing it and re-inserting it into Slides until it’s no longer blurry. I realize this is not an ideal workaround but due to limitations of Google’s system diagrams inserted into Slides will sometimes be blurry. This is exacerbated when the diagram is especially large (in dimensions). 

I apologize for any inconvenience this causes you.

Same issues as above. The work around doesn't really work since the output resolution is capped at 300 dpi. I saw in a feature request you received back in 2016 that this might be increased? Any chance it was implemented?

Hi David thanks for following up on this thread. Unfortunately 300dpi is still the maximum quality for Lucidchart diagrams exported in PNG/JPEG format. For particularly large or detailed diagrams this could result in some blurriness so you may need to export smaller sections of your diagram in order to achieve the image quality you need. 

If you would like to see higher resolutions supported for JPEG/PNG downloads would you please search the Product Feedback section of this community (with the filter Topic Type = Idea) to see if it’s already been submitted. If so, please add any additional details you’d like and upvote the request - this consolidation helps to refine feedback and properly capture the popularity of the request.

If no one has submitted this idea yet, please create one of your own and be sure to include details about your use case or what you’d like to see in this experience. This will also allow other users with similar requests to discover and upvote it, then add details of their own.

Finally, for more information on how Lucid manages feedback via this community, take a look at this post:

Exporting with the pdf extension give a more much better resolution. 

@kevin t101 Thanks for sharing your tip and continuing this thread! Glad to hear that the PDF export is giving you a better result.

To the Managers I appreciate your responses to the previous posts.

However exporting the diagram first kind of defeats the purpose of inserting since the diagram and document are then no longer linked and changes in the diagram do not show up as updates notices in the respective google document. Furthermore the version of the diagram that imports into Google Slides has much better resolution than the one that imports into Google Sheets and when a drawing is imported into Slides it can be updated wheras a drawing imported into Sheets can not be update but rather has to be inserted again.

Thanks for your attention.

Hi Calvin

Thanks for following up of this thread! We do understand your frustration with the limitations associated with this integration and we do understand that the workaround is not a perfect solution. You are correct if you opt to go the route of exporting as an image from Lucidchart and importing as an image into another product if any edits are made to original Lucidchart document that process would have to be repeated.

To pass on your feedback the best way to do so is through the process Emma described above. Thanks for your understanding!