Skip to main content

In Lucidchart, I understand lines smart lines and layers. What I'm trying to figure out is if there's a way to drag a line from an object on one layer to an object in another layer.

The reason this would be useful is for exactly one of the use cases in your help section where a customer drew a very confusing diagram for the prisons system. He was able to use layers and action links to show/hide relevant layers with the lines connected to the relevant objects but it seems to me that the lines were simply drawn to the object and not connected to it. This would mean that once my diagram got to a point where I needed to reposition some of the shapes the lines connected to them wouldn't adjust accordingly. This would be less than ideal.

It doesn't seem too complicated to me to be able to recall in the code which object a line is connected to even if that object is in a different layer?

Hmm I may have just discovered the answer to my own question. 🙂 If I drag the line to the object and press Alt (Mac keyboard) then it attaches to the shape even though it's in a different layer. This will massively improve things for me.

Thanks so much LucidChart. Your product rocks!

Thank You for posting your solution! I've been trying to figure out this exact issue and was even starting to look at other products because this was a critical feature I needed and couldn't get working.

Same here Darryl P - you saved my day! nah several days!! Thanks a bunch!

Yeeessssss !!!!!! thank you I've been looking for this feature for a year!  10 gold stars for you!!!

Very nice feature...  
This helps me in setting up visual data mappings over various ICT (sub)systems where each system has its own layer so that I can turn them on/off on my demand.

Thanks again.. and keep going

Thank you for posting your questions and discoveries in the Lucid Community! We hope this can continue to be a forum for feedback and collaboration - please let us know if you have any additional questions! 

If you're interested in learning more about how to use the Layers feature to scale down a complex flowchart into more comprehensible bite sizes - check out our latest Community post about Using Layers to expand or collapse a flowchart.

You. Truly. Rock. User of Gliphy for years it's more intuitive but now that I know about holding Alt I am a happy camper. Amazing. So glad this feature was not forgotten. It's pretty lame not to have it (since it kindof defeats the whole purpose of a diagramming tool if the lines don't move when you drag a shape). Thanks!!!

Hi Ron we're so glad to hear this! Let us know if there's anything we can do to support your work.