Skip to main content
Solved

Line relationship formatting (interactive)

• 31 July 2024
  • 1 reply

I am creating an org chart for my company. My company has 50+ employees -matrix structure- but I want lines indicating (solid lines - Direct Reports & Dotted lines - Functional Relationship). These lines are already linked to each and every person that needs them, but the whole thing is a mess. There are over 150 lines and it is impossible to track who reports to who and who works with who. I have different layers already but do not want to have 50+ different layers for each employee while hiding the other employees. I am wondering, is there a setting or function that I can work with that- (assuming the layer with All Lines is hidden), that will highlight the lines correlated to the employee profile that the user is clicking on? 
Some issues that I have run into are : too many lines with too much overlap - they cross in front of profiles and if they are ‘sent to back’ users will lose track of them, Tried grouping the lines which kind of turns it into line highways -where since the lines come and go from various sources - it is also impossible to keep track, I have tried expanding the chart so I can work with fitting everything - but due to project contraints - we would like it to fit on a standard screen size. 
Thank you to anyone who gives time into helping me and/or responding to me. I appreciate it :)

Hi @jarettisrdsystemscom

Thank you for posting in the Lucid Community. I have two possible solutions for you. The first is related to your request to highlight lines based on the shape you click on. To do this you can use hotspots and layers, here is a community post on how to accomplish this. 

My other suggestion, is to separate the two diagrams. One for direct reports and the other for functional relationships. This way the lines won’t intersect as much. 

Hope this helps!