Skip to main content
Solved

How do you change the background?

How do you add a background image?

Hi Julan- To change the background in Lucidchart you will want to do the following:

1. Go to Document Settings from the File option on the top toolbar

2. Select Background color 

3. Under “Select a fill color” choose to have an image. You will be able to select an image from anything you have uploaded.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this. 

I tried this and it worked but the background image is very low quality.  I found a large image and I matched the page size to the image size (in pixels).  But when I then say make the image full size in the sheet it is only about 1/4 the size of the page.  When I say to scale the image to the page the image becomes very grainy.  

Hi James - It sounds like the image you're using isn't quite high-quality enough to be used as a very crisp background image. When you make the image "full size" it's taking the actual dimensions of the image which is smaller than the actual page size in this case. Whereas "scale to fit" is what makes the image spread across the entire page. If you can find a higher quality image that should resolve this. :-)

Hi Monika - The image I have is 4500x2234 pixels.  In the page layout tab I set the page to also be 4500x2234 pixels so I would think they should be the exact same size.  Even having done this when I set the background image to "full size" it is not the full size of the page.  

Thanks for your reply James! Aha I think I might know what's occurring here. In order to make sure that performance in your browser is speedy we do downscale the image in the editor. When you export it'll show full quality. Or you can go to View > Display High Quality Images to make it show up properly.

That worked! thanks.

Awesome happy to hear that James. :-)

Hi Monika

I was trying to set an image as the background.

And not able to follow your instructions. I was able to find the Fill function and even choose a picture although not able to apply it in the background. Could you please help! Thanks

Hi Abi! Thanks for reaching out. The post above is a little old and our page settings look a bit different now. To change the background color open Page Settings from the File menu and under the Canvas section click on the colored square next to Background color to choose a new one. Hope this helps!

Hi Maison

Thanks for your message. I was able to upload a picture however was not able to set it in the background (the "Send To Back") shows as disabled. Could you please instruct on that a little.

If you upload it through the page settings as shown above in my screenshot it will automatically put the photo in the background and any objects dragged out to the canvas will be placed on top of the image. 

Works Thank you!