Skip to main content

I recently switched from a Windows laptop to a MacBook for work. While using my Bluetooth-enabled mouse on Windows works correctly as in “mouse mode” when the Navigation Mode is Auto (the scroll wheel zooms in and out), on Mac it works in “trackpad mode” (the scroll wheel pans around the board). Is there a setting I am missing to help Auto mode correctly detect my mouse usage on Mac? Note that this is a traditional mouse, not an Apple Magic Mouse, so there is a traditional wheel in the center and it makes it more difficult to zoom while using my mouse.

Hi @Eric Dilmore

Thank you for posting in the Lucid Community! To clarify the issue, are you still in Trackpad navigation when your mouse is connected? Lucid should automatically adjust the setting (Mouse or Trackpad) to match the type of device that is detected.

You can check out this Community post for more information on Navigation mode: 

Sorry, no, I am in Auto navigation the whole time. Unfortunately there’s no indicator for whether Lucid is detecting a mouse versus a trackpad, so I can’t say whether Lucid thinks the mouse is a trackpad or not.

Hi @Eric Dilmore

Lucid should automatically adjust and detect which navigation method you are using. Since you are using an Apple Magic Mouse, this product works differently than a normal mouse. It works similar to the Trackpad Navigation Mode. 

However, you can choose to change the Navigation Mode to Mouse instead of Trackpad to see if this resolves the issue. 

Note that this is a traditional mouse, not an Apple Magic Mouse...

Sorry for any confusion, I’m not using an Apple Magic Mouse. It’s actually a Microsoft Mouse. Normal buttons with a clickable scroll wheel. I was wondering if the possibility of using a Magic Mouse with a Macbook was a cause of confusion for the Lucid app. I’ve seen open source apps that claim they’ve had to work around the Magic Mouse to allow both regular mice and Magic Mice to work in the same app.

Changing the Navigation Mode manually does solve the issue, and I can do this if necessary. However, I regularly switch between my desk and working outside or at a coffee shop, so it’s convenient to use Auto if it works.

It sounds as if this isn’t intended behavior and I’m not missing any hidden settings. Is there a place for me to report a bug?

Hi @Eric Dilmore

I see sorry for the misunderstanding. Does this issue still occur in an incognito window? Can you also confirm what browser are you using the software in? 

Normally I use Firefox. I just tried it in Chrome and got similar behavior. On Chrome, however, I did get a helpful message telling me that it was having trouble auto-detecting my input:

This error, “We’re having trouble auto-detecting your navigation mode,” appears on Chrome when opening a board.

I just tried in Chrome Incognito and got the same error. I didn’t really want to deal with restarting Firefox in Safe Mode (it keeps extensions in Incognito mode unless you restart the browser in Safe Mode) but I don’t expect anything different there.

Hi @Eric Dilmore , 

Thank you for the reply! Were you able to adjust the auto navigation manually in Chrome? Please also note that Lucid is optimized for Chrome.