Skip to main content

So I have an enormous flowchart.

A → B → C → D → E → F → G → H → I → J → K → L → M → N

But in theory B → C → D → E → F → G → H could be abstracted into just B → H -- and thus I’d like to be able show a “zoomed out” view (for lack of a better term)

A → B → H → I → J → K → L → M → N

...with the ability to “zoom into” the abstracted B → H so that I can indeed see its detail.

How does one do abstraction like that?

Hi @philCryo, thank you for posting in the community! Unfortunately, there isn’t an easy way to collapse and expand a flowchart in Lucid. As a workaround, you could use the layers feature paired with actions to create a toggle to show/hide parts of your diagram. 

To do this, you can create a new layer in your document and move steps ‘B → H’ onto this new layer. Once the steps you want to abstract are moved, you can create a button using actions to help toggle that layer on and off. I’ve attached a GIF below demonstrating this with an example flowchart! 

Since you mentioned that your flowchart is quite large, I would suggest making a copy of your document to test this workaround in before making changes to your actual document.

For more information and instructions on how to use these two features I recommend checking out the following Help Center articles:

We're always looking for ways to improve - would you mind sharing your idea of expanding/collapsing flowcharts with the Lucid Community following the steps detailed in this community post? You can submit ideas via the ‘+Create a topic’ button and selecting ‘Idea’ option. Thanks in advance for your contribution! 

I hope this helps! Feel free to let us know if you have any questions and we’ll be happy to help! :)

Layers won’t work.  Layers merely hide / show content.  My goal is to either show the detail:

A → B → C → D → E → F → G → H → I → J → K → L → M → N

-- or to show a “30,000 foot view”:

A → B → H → I → J → K → L → M → N

I created an idea post:

Hi @philCryo, sorry to hear the layers workaround isn’t suitable for your use case. However, we really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and creating an idea post! Please feel free to let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. Cheers!