Skip to main content

Here’s the problem:

When working on large swimlanes, it’s very easy to not know which swimlane you’re on unless you scroll over to see the title.

Solution I’m looking for:

Because I don’t want to have to continually scroll over to find the swimlane the particular shape is in, I want to dynamically display a custom Text Badge attached to the shape indicating which swimlane that shape actually resides in using Conditional Formatting; however, I can’t see any rule specifying the name of the shape’s parent swimlane.  

Is this possible?

Hi @Cameron G, thanks for posting in the community! Unfortunately, it’s not possible to create a conditional formatting rule based on a shape’s parent swimlane.

However as a workaround, you can add custom shape data to the shapes in each lane. Once that is added, you can use conditional formatting to reference the custom shape data. I’ve added a GIF demonstrating this:

Alternatively, you can customise the colour of the swimlanes to help you quickly identify which lane you are working in. You can do this by selecting the individual lanes and changing the lane colour under ‘Advanced Options’ in the right contextual panel. See the GIF below for an example:

I hope this helps. Feel free to let us know if you have any questions - we’re happy to help! 🙌

Thank you, @Leianne C. I wish I wasn’t already familiar with those approaches, but I appreciate you putting together the quick informative demos - so hopefully that’s helpful for someone! 

My biggest issue is that it seems the specific swimlane name isn’t exposed. =CONTAINEDBY lists all the lane names ( e.g.,  Lane 1 Lane 2 Lane 3 Lane 4] ), but so far I am unable to discover the specific one. I find this odd because it clearly is a child of the parent swimlane or it wouldn’t stay within its bounds when scaling or moving them.

Is there a way to capture the parent’s swimlane name in code?

Again, thank you so much for your help!

Thank you for sharing some additional information, @Cameron G! Unfortunately, this is not currently supported in Lucid, and the best workaround in the meantime would be the coloured lanes or custom shape data methods. 

However, I can certainly see how it can be helpful when working with very large diagrams and will convert this post into an ‘Idea’ post for our development team’s consideration. Check out this post for more information on how feature requests will be handled moving forward. 

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and use-case. Let us know if you have any additional questions. 

I’ve opened an “idea”. Hopefully it sees the light of day!

Please vote to have CONTAINEDBY include Swimlane name

Thank you,

Cameron

Hi Cameron! Thank you for creating an idea post for this! I’ve just shared an exciting update in that post and will also add it here for any users who come across this post 🙌

We now support containment conditional formatting for swimlane lanes! On the contained shape, try using formula CONTAINEDBY($SWIMLANELANE)A1].$id to get the lane's ID, then use CONTAINEDBY($SWIMLANELANE)M1].$id = "(*desired lane id*) as the formula in the if-statement for conditional formatting.

This is fantastic! Thank you!

Also, you can get the actual name of the swimlane with the following:
=CONTAINEDBY($SWIMLANELANE)

Thanks for sharing the tip, Cameron! Feel free to let us know if there’s anything else we can do to help :) 

Hi @Cameron G! I’m Abby from Lucid, reaching out because I think you, and others who might come across this topic in the future, might be interested in Lucid’s Data Trusted User Group. This group is made up of knowledgeable users who regularly analyze and visualize data in their work. As part of this group, you’ll have the opportunity to connect directly with Lucid’s product team, gain early access to beta features, and share insights about your needs, shaping the future of Lucid’s data solutions 🎉 You can learn more and request to join here. Thanks!