Skip to main content

Team folders isn't an option on our collaboration tab and it isn't an option under folders in the document tab.  How do I enable this?

Hi Craig 

Thank you for posting in the community! I apologize for the trouble with folders and sharing and I'd love to help with a few points you've brought up:

• Team Folders which have an understandably confusing name are in fact an enterprise-only feature. What a Team Folder allows you to do is to share and collaborate on documents without having a designated owner. Rather than an individual owning documents in a Team Folder it's all stored and owned by the Team Folder. This means you don’t need to worry about losing access to your team’s work if a team member leaves the company or project. To learn more about this functionality feel free to take a look at this Team Folders article from our Help Center.
  • However you are still able to achieve similar collaboration with Shared Folders which are accessible on Team accounts. The folder creator can share the folder and its contents with an individual user a sub-group of the team or a team as a whole and determine permission levels there as well. Essentially you have the same collaboration abilities as a Team Folder but without the collective ownership of the documents. 
  • Finally you should be able to create sub-folders within a folder if you are its owner or if you have been given appropriate permissions by the owner of the folder. For example if a collaborator has shared a view-only folder with you you don't have the ability to create a sub-folder within it-only the owner does. If you have editing permissions for that folder however you could create a sub-folder. 

If you are running into error messages are having trouble creating folders or need to ask another question please feel free to let me know!

Hi Lucid

If you think about it a Team subscription that does not have team folder functionality - i.e. a folder the business owns instead of something that is shared by an individual - really disadvantages a small business although a small business is more likely to purchase a Team subscription than anything else given your product pricing tiers.

I say this because in my experience a small business is more vulnerable to an employee departure and along with them their documents than a larger enterprise and use of a folder that the small business owns prevents that.  The team folder functionality plays a more important role in a small business especially one that is trying to grow and that one day might be a small enterprise.

I also find it a little misleading. In two ways: it is not easy to discover this detail in the pre-sales content on your web site and the subscription is called "Teams" as is the object you need to use to implement company ownership of the documents a Team.

For the above reasons I will terminate my subscription and if this changes in the future I may come back.

Thank you and I hope this information helps. 

Hi Tony thanks for following up on this thread. I can definitely understand how the name of the Team Folders feature could be confusing and I apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused. If you would like to pass this feedback on to our Product Development team please feel free to do so using this form. We are always looking to improve the experience of our users and we truly value your feedback on this.  

For future reference- you might find our transfer/delete feature helpful for managing documents in the event of employee departures. This allows you to transfer the documents of a former employee to another user before you delete their account. You can read more about this feature in our Transfer Files Help Centre article. Additionally you might find it helpful to use Shared Folders as an alternative to Team Folders. As Micah mentioned earlier in this thread the two features offer similar collaboration benefits with the main difference being that document/folder ownership is still retained by individual users for Shared Folders.