Skip to main content

I have a diagram of a complex system which is made up of multiple sub systems.

I'd like to be able to highlight those sub systems by greying out the background parts of the system. I can do this in Visio by putting objects in layers and applying a fade out colour to all the layers I don't want to highlight. Layers in Lucidchart don't appear to work that way as they can only be shown or hidden. Is there any other way to do this?

Keep in mind some of the elements are reused between systems so I need to be able to focus on those items in each layer.

Here is an example of what I mean. Page 1 is the full diagram and page 234 show different views I want to be able to highlight and switch between.

(document url redacted for security/privacy)

Hi Grant 

Thanks for reaching out! While Lucidchart does not currently support the "fade out" functionality for layers that you describe you can layer opaque shapes on top of the shapes that you want to highlight in the different views and then show/hide the opaque shape when you toggle the layers. Please see the Add and Customize Shapes in Lucidchart help center article to learn how to adjust shape opacity. 

If you would like to see more robust functionality with layers in Lucidchart can you please submit your feedback through our Product Feedback section

Thanks!