Skip to main content

I am a licensed admin and user in a Lucid Suite organization. I have a spreadsheet with a single column of data in Google Sheets that I would like to import into LucidChart. When I try to import the data in Smart Containers, I’m not able to find the sheet by it’s exact title (copied and pasted), or any parts of the title. The same occurs when attempting to import data via the Data panel. However, in both cases, I am able to see other sheets.

So far I’ve tried to self-help by doing the following:

Having exhausted all my other options, I hope I can get some support here!

Here’s context / proof:

The Google Sheet’s name and sharing permissions

No results when searching for the exact title name

Finally, here’s a search using just the first word in the Sheet’s title. Several other sheets pop up, but not the one I’m looking for.

Hi @ViB EJ, thank you for this post and for your incredibly thorough troubleshooting! I appreciate you looking into this so thoroughly, and I’m sorry for the continued trouble. A few questions to help me understand what’s occurring:

•  Do you personally own this document, or is it shared with you or located in a shared Google Drive?
  • If you personally own it, is it located in a folder that contains other documents (perhaps those in your screenshot above) that you are able to search successfully?

I also have one suggestion for a short-term workaround, which is to duplicate this spreadsheet and attempt to search for and import data from that. I recognize that may not be ideal in terms of existing sharing permissions for that spreadsheet within your org, but it could allow you to import the data and continue your work while we continue to investigate! Thanks for your help and patience.  

Hey @Micah thanks for the quick reply! Can you tell I like writing documentation? 😅 See my responses below:

• My Google Workspace account is the Owner and Creator of the Sheet. The same Workspace account is linked to Lucid.
  • The Sheet is located in My Drive, however:
    • None of the Sheets that return in the search results are in My Drive.
    • Moving sheets out of My Drive into a Shared drive yields the same result
    • Duplicating the Sheet yields the same result (I thought this one would work for sure!)
    • Here’s where it gets weird - I’m not able to locate documents Lucid is returning as search results within Google Drive 
      • I double-checked my logged in and linked user accounts and access permission settings in Workspace, Drive, Sheets, AND Lucid
        • they are all the same email / account (and it’s the right one)
        •  There are no permissions or settings enabled that would prevent Lucid from querying my list of Sheets
      • Just to be thorough, I checked my personal Drive accounts, Shared with Me, and Shared Drives individually on all accounts.
      • Since I’m a Workspace super admin, I even used the Investigation tool to find logs or details about which folder these Sheets lived.
      • The documents returned in Lucid look like they’re from a contractor group that has shared files with us, but it looks like their own internal files (not files likely to be shared to us)
        • Reiterating that I am not able to locate these documents at all within Google Drive 

So, in a nutshell, even though I am logged in to the same account in both Google Drive and Lucid, I am not able to locate the Sheets returned in Lucid’s search results. Despite that fact, I am still able to link the data into Lucid. This doesn’t answer the question about why I can’t find my Sheet in Lucid, or why I can’t find any Sheets from My Drive - but hopefully I’ve illuminated the problem a bit more, at least!  

@ViB EJ I can tell, and it’s fantastic - I’m grateful for your help with looking into this! 🤝 For the sake of trying a reset/fresh start, can you please revoke Lucidchart’s access to your Google account? To do this, please navigate to this link. The next time you attempt to import from Google Sheets in a Lucidchart document, you will be prompted to re-authenticate with Google which should link the account. I’d like to try this new attempt from a brand new Lucidchart document. Would you please try this and let me know if, after reauthenticating, the new Lucidchart doc is still pulling results from that contractor group?

@Micah The plot thickens….

I followed the link, revoked Lucid, signed out, then re-authenticated via Google SSO. Afterwards, I created a new document, and went to import data under Smart Containers. To my surprise, after choosing Google Sheets I was met with a list of documents - the same ones returned before.

I went one step further and repeated the process - this time, I disconnected the Google Drive Marketplace app, as well. I re-verified that Lucid was not in the Third-party apps list, logged out, and this time logged in using my Lucid username and password. Finally, I created another blank diagram and tried to import data under Smart Containers... 

There’s still the same Google Sheets. At this point, I don’t know where they’re coming from -  as far as I can tell, I don’t have any connection between Lucid and Google Drive. I double-checked I didn’t have any other connected Lucid Marketplace integrations, I’ve disabled the Google Drive integration in Account → Apps & Integrations, and ensured all connections were revoked on Google side. Feels like I’m missing something here, but I don’t know what!

Hi @ViB EJ, thanks for your patience on this. I’ve looped in our integrations expert @Emma B to help us keep investigating. We’ll be in touch soon on this thread with an update! 

Hi @ViB EJ 
I wanted to add some information that does not solve your current issue, but will be helpful once you’re able to locate the correct spreadsheet in the Google picker.

Spreadsheets with only one column can be imported into the Data linking panel. However, Smart Containers require at least two columns as you’ll be asked to select one column for the Containers, and one column for the Shapes that will appear inside each container.

You can get around this by:

• Adding a second column to your spreadsheet
  • Add data to at least one cell in the new column

Hey there, 
Thanks for hanging in there while I got caught up to speed! 

I made a small change on our end to your login tokens. Sorry for the redundancy, but do you mind trying the next couple of steps again? 

• Reconnect to Google Drive and let me know if you are in successfully. 
  • Attempt to use data linking a new document (you should be prompted to log in again) 
  • Search for your "OneSource" sheet again. If you see the same (incorrect) sheets as before, can you try importing one anyway? If you are able to, I might move you to a ticket, so that I can gather more information about your document/account privately! 

@Emma B you must have  knocked it loose - after following your steps, I finally found my Sheet, and the other ones are gone! Thank you!!

For posterity, was it something I did, or a misconfiguration? Or just something goofy on the backend?

Shoutouts to @Micah for the quick and attentive triage, and @Melinda F for added details that helped prevent me from starting a new thread :P

Thanks for the assist, team!

Hi @ViB EJ, Woohoo! Thank you for letting us know. 
You got it- something goofy on the back end. You shouldn’t run into the issue in the future!

Thanks again for your continued patience and thorough investigation on your end. You made it easy for us to help you!