Skip to main content

Flipping a whole diagram horizontally

• 13 June 2022
  • 5 replies

I would like to flip my diagram horizontally - to change the direction of flow in the diagram.

However even if I group the whole diagram "flip" just flips the individual objects.

Is there a way to do this?

Hey Alex

Thank you for posting in the Lucid Community! Unfortunately our flip object feature does not change the flow of the diagram. What you could try is changing the endpoint of your lines to be the opposite so the flow is now going in the opposite direction. You can do this with the entire diagram all at once--you can select all of your lines and change the endpoint to be the opposite end. 

Hope this helps--if not feel free to comment again or reach out to us at support@lucidchart.com so we can take a closer look. 

Thanks for that - an interesting idea! What I wanted to do was change the diagram from D←C←B←A to A→B→C→D

In other words I wanted to flip the positions of the boxes but keep the connectivity of the arrows the same - in other words to flip the whole diagram (but ideally not the text in the boxes).

Hey Alex

Aha I see. So maybe using the flip feature and changing the line orientation could work as a sort of "mirror" effect for you in this case? 

If this really isn't what you are looking for and this is functionality you would like to see in Lucidchart I would love if you would add your idea to our feature request form? This would help get the ball rolling on getting this added. 

Thanks Alex--Cheers!

The problem is that the flip feature flips the individual objects but not the whole diagram - objects on the left stay on the left objects on the right stay on the right. I tried grouping the whole diagram but this did not resolve the issue. My expectation would be that if I flip a group of objects their positions as well as their orientations would be flipped.

Hey Alex

Oh I see! Thank you so much for the context. Unfortunately that is not a feature we currently offer. I would still love if you could fill out that feature request form and include as much context on this as possible. I love the idea! Thanks Alex!