Skip to main content

I have been using LucidChart as a demo and I'm very impressed. However there's one thing that seems basic and I can't find out how or even if you can do it. How can you force the cursor context to be the select too here is my use case.

1. I create a shape that I'm using as some sort of boundary or grouping

2. I add other shapes in to / over the first shape

3. I want to drag and select a group of shapes within that shape

I cannot get the cursor to change from the drag icon to the standard cursor for drag selecting items when it's on a shape. This seems a very basic ask so am surprised why I can't do this. 

Is this possible I've checked the shortcuts and the help and can find nothing??

Hi Scott thanks for posting in the Lucidchart Community! It sounds like our container shapes may help you in this case: Containers don't have a fill color and are magnetized by default. This means that you can drag and select a group of shapes within containers. This also means that when you move a container all shapes within it will move as well. I have recorded a Gif showing the capabilities of containers for your use case:

I hope this helps!

That's fine for some things but some of the out of the box shapes I've been using to design some Azure services are containers for other shapes to be added. Are you saying those shapes have not been create correctly as I thought the Azure shapes were OOTB shapes? If I migrate to using containers I'll have to rebuild the shape from scratch to mimic it and I assume the same for others?

A feature to turn a shape from a normal shape to a container would be excellent

Unfortunately it is currently not possible to do this in Lucidchart. However we're always looking for ways to improve Lucidchart and your feedback is the best way for us to do that. Would you mind adding your idea to our Product Feedback section? Ideas submitted are passed on to the product development team for their consideration.

Thanks for your request and I apologize for any inconvenience this causes you.