Skip to main content

Are there any features/shortcuts that would allow me to remove text/content from multiple shapes at once?

My goal is to be able to reuse formatted shapes without having to manually select the text in each of them to clear the shape of text. It's easier to remove text from a shape and reuse it than to add a new shape and having to reformat it (especially when it's multiple shapes).

Alternatively please let me know if there's a feature/shortcut that would allow me to copy and paste a shape without its text content (keep formatting of shape only). Using LucidChart on Chrome browser.

Any help is appreciated! :-)

Hi Graciela - Thanks for reaching out! Unfortunately we don't have a shortcut for removing content from multiple shapes at once. I think that's a great idea and if you want feel free to post in our Product Feedback section .

As for copying the formatting and shape of an object without the text content there is a very easy to use shortcut. If you have a shape that you have created you can temporarily remove the context from the shape then highlight your entire shape. Once highlighted you right click the shape select "add to custom shape library" and add it to whatever folder you want. Now on the left hand side of your screen in shapes you should see your new custom shape that you have created. This way you can easily drag your already formated shape into your document to use (see screenshots below).

If you have any more questions feel free to let me know!

rRSb2wAEWIwSUxIsDGAX2Q.pngI2PTjrHeA-xG7_Cf9uf-lQ.pngYzfdBEZCm0XPwBYlg8I4ww.png

Hi Som

Thanks for your reply and the tip on adding custom shapes to a library - is there a keyboard shortcut for this action?
I'll submit the feature request through the linked above as advised.

Hi Graciela - Good question! There is a very neat shortcut for this trick. If you want to highlight multiple shapes to add to a custom library you can highlight all of the desired shapes select command+G or ctrl+G (depending on if you're on mac or windows). This will group your shapes together. From there you can simply drag them onto your shapes panel on the left of your screen. Feel free to watch this video on shape libraries for more information.

Another great trick to open up your shape libraries is to click the M key. This will open up your shapes panel and will grant easy access for this sort of functionality.

If you have any more questions feel free to let me know!

Great thanks Som!

Simple trick would be to select all the shapes and change the text color to white

Hi Sandeep thanks for commenting in our community! Great idea! You could change the selected shapes to white or transparent and they would disappear.