Skip to main content

I've exported a load of custom data to a CSV and I want to create a shape automatically for each row of the data.

It can be done easily using the standard shapes but Lucidchart automatically inserts every field of the data into the text and there doesn't seem to be a way to stop this behaviour. I want to use a custom shape which only shows one of the fields in the text (I'll use the other fields for custom formatting).

The other way to do it is to create a shape and drag the data onto it manually for every row - not ideal when you have 100+ rows.

Is there really no way to specify my own shape with my own text content for automatic shape creation instead of the default shapes which include every field in the text?

Hi Alex

Thanks for posting in the community! You can do this by:

(1) Dragging out or creating a shape

(2) Setting up the data fields (in data menu) and formatting you want in that shape;

(3) Saving it as a custom shape (right-clicking on the shape and then selecting "Add to Custom Shape Library"); and

(4) Multi-select the rows in the spreadsheet view and then drag them out.

For additional details please review our data linking help center article

Thank you Cydney E! I had actually tried that already but I figured out where I had gone wrong.

I had added my shape to a custom shape library but I hadn't included that shape library in my current document so the shapes didn't appear in the list of options when I dragged the data onto the sheet. That's why I thought I could only use the basic shapes.

I needed to add my custom shape library so it appeared in the shapes menu on the left hand side then it appeared as an option for the data linked shapes to create.

Now it works a treat! Cheers!

Ah! But does it work for more complex grouped shapes? It seems not :(

Hi Alex 

Thanks for reaching out again! Unfortunately what you are trying to do does not work with grouped shapes. However we're always looking for ways to improve Lucidchart and your feedback is the best way for us to do that. Would you mind adding this idea to our Product Feedback section?

Ideas submitted are passed on to the product development team for their consideration. Thanks for your request!

Hi! 👋 Jumping in here because I think you and others who might come across this post may be interested in Lucid’s Data Trusted User Group. This group is made up of knowledgeable users who regularly analyze and visualize data in their work. As part of this group, you’ll have the opportunity to connect directly with Lucid’s product team, gain early access to beta features, and share insights about your needs, shaping the future of Lucid’s data solutions 🎉 You can learn more and request to join here. Thanks!