Solved

Data driven web link?

I'd like to be able to manage shape web links from my data file but I can't seem to figure out of that is possible.

How to use data from a data file for my shape web link?

icon

Best answer by Abby S 2 May 2024, 17:04

View original

Comments

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Eric

Thanks for posting on the community. If you insert the cell that contains a URL as text onto a shape that will set up a hotspot/link from the shape to the URL. For example I have this data set and column B contains URLs that I would like to have shapes in my diagram link out to.

I can follow the instructions outlined in this help center article to link this data set to my Lucidchart diagram assign it to a shape and display the data on a shape.

Once I've done that the shape will be linked to the the URL and using Ctrl+Shift+Click in the editor or just clicking on it in a published view will open up the link.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or if this is not what you were hoping to do!

Thanks. With this method it would appear that the link needs to be visible in the shape. Is there a way to do this where the URL cell value is not added as text? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Eric

Good question and thanks for following up. Unfortunately there is not a way to set up a link to an external website from linked data without the URL showing up on the shape. You can manually set up non-visible links using our actions/hotspot feature but there is not currently a way to connect actions/hotspots to linked data. If you'd like to suggest this improvement to our product development team please add it to our product feedback area. Thanks for your request and sorry for the inconvenience!

Badge

Hi is there anyway when exported the URL boxes can be coloured? mine appear blank with no box around them?

the box with RASP process has an actual box around it in Lucid but when I export to PDF it dissapears

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Jen, thanks for continuing this thread. Did you use the Hotspot shape from the standard shape library to create this linked shape? 

Hotspots show up as an editable shape when you are working in your Lucidchart diagram, but are transparent when presenting exporting publishing, embedding, or printing your document. So if you used the hotspot shape here, it is expected behavior that it does not appear in your diagram as a green square (or however you have styled it) when the document is exported.

If you did not use the Hotspot shape to create your linked shape, please let me know so that I can take a closer look at what could be causing this issue in your document. 

Badge

Yeh this is what I did.. the hotspot.. so how do i get a hyperlink it without using the hotspot?

i need the form to be interactive so it links to other processes?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Jen, there are several ways you can get a link without using a hotspot, including adding an action to a shape or adding a link to a shape. Either of these will remain visible when you export. You can learn how to set each of these up in this help center article.

This community post is also a great resource to learn about the differences between links, actions, and hotspots so that you can decide which is the best fit for your use case:

Hope this helps!

Badge

Abby thank you sooo much 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Happy to help @Jen Lawton, let us know if there is anything else you need help with!

Badge

All done, and works fabulously