Skip to main content

Hello 

I'm a newbie with Lucid Chart and have a really simple question. I understand all the layers principle and want to use them. My only irritant is having to press Ctrl + Shift + Click to toggle the layer. Where can we change it to simply click in a button like feature ? Is it my basic shape that is preventing me to only click on it instead of using the hot key ? Right now when I click on it I don't see the hand feature appear the layer will only appear with the hot key. Since this is to be used by all the department I want it to be as user friendly as possible. 

Thanks for posting in the community Francois! Unfortunately, this isn’t currently supported in Lucid, but we’re very interested in your feedback and committed to continually improving our products. Please first search the Product Feedback section of this community (with the filter Topic Type = Idea) to see if it’s already been submitted. If so, please add any additional details you’d like and upvote the request - this consolidation helps to refine feedback and properly capture the popularity of the request.

If no one has submitted this idea yet, please create one of your own and be sure to include details about your use case or what you’d like to see in this experience. This will also allow other users with similar requests to discover and upvote it, then add details of their own.

Finally, for more information on how Lucid manages feedback via this community, take a look at this post:

Hi I have built a sheet with a lot of layers. Now I want to delete the layers since it is give me some problems when i move things around. How can I delete a layer without losing the content on the main page? If I try the delete option on the layer the object is delete from the main page too. 

Thanks for reaching out Tina! If you do not want to lose the content of a page when deleting a layer I would suggest the following steps:

1. Press control + A to select all the content on the layer you are wanting to delete

2. Cut the content (control + X or command + X)

3. Paste the content on different layer or page

4. Delete the layer that you wish to delete

If you have additional questions about using layers we have an awesome link that can help answer more questions: Add layers to a Lucidchart document

I'm trying to do layers.  The "help" message ("How to manage and create layers" or close to that title) shows how to manage them once created.  But how did those dogs cats and rabbits get put on different layers in the first place?  Simply clicking on "LAYERS" (with plus sign) just names a non-existent new layer but doesn't create one with something on it.

==John

Hi John

Thanks for posting in the Lucidchart Community! I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble but I am happy to help. After you create a new layer and select it from the Layers menu, l you can then drag and drop any objects to that layer. Any new layer you create will be empty until you add objects. Check out the video at the top of this help center article for a demonstration of this. Please let me know if you have any additional questions! 

I believe that due to the amount of information on my document the information went over the margins and created  layers.  I formatted the document back into one page but I am not able to delete the blank layers.  I followed instructions to delete layers (clicking on the dots to delete but it does not work).  These attempts left me with 8 extra layers...  Please help!

Hi Eliane

Thanks for continuing this post! Could you try opening your document in a private or incognito window to help us narrow down the potential cause?

If this does not help could you please send the following:

• A screenshot of the error message (or of anything you are seeing) you receive when attempting to delete a layer

• A screenshot of your layer panel (where you add or delete your layers)

Thanks in advance for your help and patience!

Hi Clara

Eleven layers were created on this one-page document.  See below a sample of the 1st layers.

Also please see below the screen shot of what I selected to remove the layers but was not able to.  Thank you.

Eliane

Hi Eliane

Thanks for getting back and I apologize for the back and forth! What happens when you try to delete a layer? Can you not click on the "Delete" button or when you do does nothing happen? 

When I click on the delete button nothing happens.

I try also to select the blank layer and then click on the delete option and the layer does not delete.

Hi Eliane

Thanks for getting back! Could you try deleting the layers in a private or incognito window? Could you also try connecting to a different network? Sometimes account performance issues can be related to internet security/speed or browser issues. These steps will help us eliminate that possibility.

If these steps don't help you delete the layers, please let me know.

Thanks!