Skip to main content

I would like to create a document where there is an underlying page with some containers, text, etc and then create multiple tabs with a layer on top of that base page.

The goal is to be able to add things on the underlying base page and have all tabs updated with the new information - e.g. a legend on the base page and when it changes all the tabs based on the page change

I know I can create a page on a single and then layers on top of that page for variable content, e.g. a legend on the base page and versions of content on the layers but the layers cannot be selected by a view only user.

Anyone have any thoughts on how this could be approached?

TIA

Replying to self in case someone else finds this question - it looks like changing a page to a master page then basing all the other pages on that master does what I want - when the master is updated all the tabs based on it update.

Hi @ellswrth

Thanks for your post and for sharing this great tip! You’ve nailed it: creating a master page is the best way to apply your page formatting to other pages in your document 🙌

For anyone interested in learning more about this, please check out our Create a master page in Lucidchart article. 

@Flavia D here’s what I’d like to know though - can I create “slots” on the master page to define where the content will go in the child pages?

Or is the master page in essence a layer of locked objects?

I’d already read that article and it’s silent on that particular subject.

Hi @ellswrth

Thanks for providing this additional context! Unfortunately, this isn’t currently supported in Lucid. Our Master Page only allows to set a default design/formatting to be applied to other pages (as a single content block). You could use our layer functionality to add layers of content to the Master Page and then change the visibility of those layers as you want. However, hiding/displaying a layer on the Master Page would cause all of the child pages to be updated accordingly, meaning it’s not possible to have different layers displaying/hiding in different child pages. 

If you’d like to learn more about our layer functionality despite of this limitation, please review our Add layers to a Lucidchart document article. 

Regarding what you’re trying to achieve: we we’re very interested in your feedback and committed to continually improving our products. Please first search the Product Feedback section of this community (with the filter Topic Type = Idea) to see if it’s already been submitted. If so, please add any additional details you’d like and upvote the request - this consolidation helps to refine feedback and properly capture the popularity of the request.

If no one has submitted this idea yet, please create one of your own and be sure to include details about your use case or what you’d like to see in this experience. This will also allow other users with similar requests to discover and upvote it, then add details of their own.

Finally, for more information on how Lucid manages feedback via this community, take a look at this post:

@Flavia D  thanks - I’ve been using layers before switching to master pages.

The drawback with layers is it seems that View only users can’t turn layers on and off so they see them all at once.

With the master pages I’ve gotten to where I need to be so all good.

Hi @ellswrth

Thanks for the context. Yes, you’re correct: users with view access to the document won’t be able to toggle layers on and off. Glad to hear Master Pages are doing the trick for you anyway!