Skip to main content

Trying to set up conditional arrow color changes...

Not getting there though. 

Is changing of arrow color not an option for condition formatting?

Hi Russell

Thanks for reaching out on Lucidchart Community!

You can change the color of your lines/arrows when working with conditional formatting! If you click on the colored square (the green square as shown in the screenshot you provided above) next to where "Line" is checked under "Line Properties" you can choose from a variety of colors that are provided or create a personalized color.

OK but it doesn’t seem to be triggering— my condition is true but no arrow color change.

Can you see anything wrong in the screenshot?

Hi Russell

Sorry that didn't work I might need some more context on what you are trying to do specifically. Just to clarify are you trying to change the border style of your shape or the actual lines between shapes? Below I walk you through a few different options for how to make those changes depending on exactly what you are trying to do and the way you would prefer to go about it.

If you are trying to change the color for a line between shapes there are two ways to do that. The easiest way is honestly going to be to forgo conditional formatting for changing that color. You can simply chose the line color on the toolbar at the top. I have provided a screenshot below on how you can do this for one line, a group of lines, or all the lines on your doc.

If you do want to use conditional formatting for the lines you will need to link the custom data to each line you want it to apply to. This means you will either need to manually input that information on the line (lines can have text) so that they the conditional formatting you choose will apply to it. Otherwise you can do as I did below and add custom data to a line (so that the line doesn't have visible text on your diagram). For a simple example, I’ve created a custom property on my line called “line type” with the value “red.”

Then, you can create a conditional formatting rule where the “if” criteria captures the custom data you added to your line.

You would have to do this for each line so I would recommend using the option above for changing line color if possible, but you can do it this way with conditional formatting if you prefer. If you are just looking to change the border style of a shape, you can do that by selecting "border" under shape style and then choosing the color (as well as style and thickness) on the box to the right. 

I hope this helps! If there is something else you are trying to do that I am not covering here can you please provide more screenshots (or preferably a recording) of the issue you are seeing so I can do further troubleshooting?

I was trying to do something similar, here, and I also got stuck. It seems to me that the basic problem is that conditional formatting applies only to “shapes;” and the lines/arrows that connect shapes don’t count as shapes themselves. See my screenshot below: my conditional formatting is being applied to 3 out of 3 shapes. The line between “Contract" and “Client Contract” doesn’t count as a shape, to which conditional formatting can be applied; otherwise it would say “4 out of 4.”

But I wish it would! Because I also want to apply conditional formatting rules to the lines that connect shapes.

Hi @kevin_h

Thank you for your reply! Conditional formatting only applies to shapes, and not lines. If you would like we’re very interested in your feedback and committed to continually improving our products. You can add this idea to our Product Feedback section. Please look to see if this is already an idea in the community (with the filter Topic Type = Idea) to see if it’s already been submitted.

If so, please add any additional details you’d like and upvote the request - this consolidation helps to refine feedback and properly capture the popularity of the request.

If no one has submitted this idea yet, please create one of your own and be sure to include details about your use case or what you’d like to see in this experience. This will also allow other users with similar requests to discover and upvote it, then add details of their own.

For more information on how Lucid manages feedback via this community, take a look at this post:

As a possible workaround, you can have the conditional settings set to apply to lines. For instance if you have the amount of connected shapes set to 2, you can have formatting apply to color of the lines. 

Hope this helps!