Solved

Automatically Generated Table of Contents

• 17 April 2018
  • 7 replies

It would be useful to automatically create a Table of Contents in Lucidchart. This ToC would automatically update as I created new pages and would link to those pages from the control panel (beginning page). 

icon

Best answer by Clara H 29 May 2020, 21:38

View original

Comments

Hi Carson

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately creating a table is not currently supported in Lucidchart. That is an awesome idea so would you mind adding your idea to the product feedback area? Ideas submitted there are passed on to the product development team for their consideration.

Thanks for your request!

Badge +3

Hi, I am hoping that there has been some update for automatically creating a table of contents. If so, please advise. Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hey @Karen.Stewart -- thanks for posting! So, there isn’t a table of contents, however, there is a diagram key. If you click on the create diagram key button in the shapes menu, you should be able to utilize this feature. 

Hope this helps!

Badge +3

@Phillip W - I’m not sure how I would use this. Do you have a video you can share for how I would use this to create a Table of Contents?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hey @Karen.Stewart -- thanks for the reply! It really depends on what you are trying to do with the Table of Contents. For example, is this a way to navigate around the canvas or is it simply showing the user where things are located? 

As a quick example, you could utilize page tab colors (right click on the tab and select page tab color) to create a TOC that uses those colors. You can then link each part of the TOC to a page in the diagram, like this: 

Hope this helps!

Badge +3

@Phillip W - thanks, but I have a workbook with a different flow on each page and wanted to have a real Table of Contents (Title, Page# and each row links to the page). that would update when I added or deleted a page. I manually created a ToC, but I have to manually update it too… thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hey @Karen.Stewart -- I see. Yes, this would, unfortunately, be a manual process, as it seems you’ve already found. You can most certainly submit this idea to our Product Feedback channel for our dev team to take a look at. We absolutely love hearing feedback and ideas from our users, so this would be extremely valuable to us. 

Thank you so much for your idea!