Skip to main content

Hi!

I would like to apply Links to my Org chart as per what this article presents https://help.lucid.co/hc/en-us/articles/15059514038420-Add-an-Action-or-link-to-a-shape-in-Lucidchart

Are Links supposed to work for Org Charts yet? I've tried applying the instructions in that article linking boxes to other pages in my document but it's not doing it.

Thanks

ClaireC. 

Hi Claire

Thanks for posting in the Lucidchart Community! You can add a link to an Org Chart Shape by selecting a shape, and clicking the URL button on the right of the tool bar. 

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Hi there - I'm hoping to create links from the shapes or text in my Org Chart. Right now when I add a link to the Org Chart text as recommended above it asks the user to "Shift + Ctrl + Click to view external link" - I'd like to avoid this experience. Ideally a user would click on a shape or text in my Org Chart and get directly to the external site. Is this possible at this time? Thanks

Anna

Hi @leicht, a thanks for posting in the Lucid Community - I'm happy to help!

It is  possible to add an action to an entire org chart shape instead of just text within in as described in Paula's response above. To do so simply double-click anywhere on your org chart to enter editing mode then single-click on the employee tile that you wish to add an action to. 

Regarding your specific question about using the command Shift + Ctrl + Click to open the URL linked to your shape - while working in the editor Shift + Ctrl + Click is required in order to prevent accidental clicks or attempts to edit the shape from opening the link and it is not possible to disable this. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes! However we highly value your feedback and if you'd like to see changes to this experience in the future we welcome more detail about what you'd find useful in this thread or via our Product Feedback section. Our development team reviews this feedback when prioritizing improvements to the product. 

However I do have two workarounds to suggest that might be useful to you. If you share this document with your collaborators or viewers either as a published URL or published PDF you can avoid the need for the Shift + Ctrl keyboard command. 

When published as a PDF a viewer can simply click on the hyperlinked text or shape. In my example below I've added a link to google.com to my employee shapes:

Note that this is also the same experience if you share your document with other Lucidchart users with view-only permissions. 

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have additional questions.